Heart Palpitations?

I had this wierd thing happen (for about 10 min.) where I felt little heart palpitations, almost like a flutter and then I would cough. Is this normal? I had a cold at the time. Should I be worried? It has never happened before or since. Is it a symptom of my cold? I almost couldn't tell if it was truly my heart or my lungs. Any advice?

Favorite Answer

What you experienced may have been tachycardia (rapid heart beat) and it is due to rapid firing of a normal structure called the sinoatrial (sinus) node which is the natural pacemaker of the heart. Sinus tachycardia occurs in response to exercise, exertion, excitement, pain, fever, excessive thyroid hormone, low blood oxygen (hypoxia), stimulant drugs (such as caffeine and amphetamines), etc. Not usually anything to worry about unless it happens a lot and for long periods of time. Hope this helps.

• Mark H

There are several possible causes. It sounds like you experienced a short period of arrhythmia -- an irregular heart rhythm. This happens to a LOT of people, and could be very serious or completely benign.

A not-so-uncommon form of a benign arrhythmia can occur if you are dehydrated -- something that seems to accompany a lot of colds.

If it has not recurred, mention it to your doctor the next time you see him, but don't worry about it too much. If it happens again, don't wait -- go see your doctor.

Were you taking any cold meds? Stuff like sudafed can increase your heart rate.

• bella

do you suffer from anxiety or anything like that ?..could also happen if you are at an unhealthy weight under or over