Fisherman's Wharf in March? (other: area tips, Muni?)?

I'm thinking of visiting San Francisco mid-march. Will Fisherman's Wharf have any activity (the performers, venders), or will it be dead? I'm a poor college student so I need to know that I'll have fun on this vacation!

Any other tips about the area and MUST SEEs would be greatly appreciated. Ohh...and if you know about the Muni/Public Transportation system, please help! Is it possible to navigate San Francisco easily without a car?

Favorite Answer

Mid-March is ok to visit San Francisco, but yes, you might run into some rain. Fisherman's Wharf is always fun no matter what time of year - you've got Alcatraz, the aquarium, shops, Boudin Sourdough, and when my parents were here, I took them in an old-fashioned car tour called Mr. Toad's Tours - that was fun! And I think the tulips should be in full bloom at that time - Fisherman's Wharf usually puts out a nice big display about that time of year.

Other must-sees that I recommend are: Chinatown, the Ferry Building (take the streetcar from Fisherman's Wharf to here), various farmers' markets (one at the Ferry Building and there is one on Thursdays at the Crocker Galleria in the financial district). I love the shops and restaurants along Fillmore Street and Polk Street, and definitely take the cable car on California or Powell Streets. Enjoy!

You should wait until May or June to come to San Francisco. In March you have a good chance of it raining the whole time you are here. After March we dry out and you would get good weather. The rain can put a damper on your outdoor activities. so bring an umbrella and plan to do more indoor things. Like the Metreon, the Museum of Modern Art. the Asian Art Museum, don't miss Golden Gate Park, Coit Tower and Alcatraz. You can get a great view of the City from the top of the Embarcadero. Go shopping at the City Center and Powell Street. Go to Chinatown at least to walk through. Ride a Cable Car. Ride the Historic Market Street Cars. Skip the Muni Metro underground. I hope that helps.

Fisherman's Warf always has something going on. SF is very eary to navigate without a car (much easier that way acutally). Between Muni, BART, the buses, and cable cars you should be able to get just about anywhere. Just make sure you have a good map and you should be good to go.

Do not bring a car, it took me a year to learn the city streets, the streets of SF are the most difficult out of all American cities because of all the hills it is not a simple grid, one ways turn into two ways, roads dead end, you can't drive on cable car tracks, please for the sake of us all don't bring your car! :-) You can plan wherever you want to go on MUNI by going to http://www.transitinfo.org/tripplanner/index.asp You can input landmarks into the destination fields you don't even have to know the address.

P. S. Don't listen to the above post, Irving street? That is the most boring part of the city. DO NOT go to Hunter's Point, the highest murder rate in the city.

Source(s): A San Franciscan

it is best to be in San Francisco without a car.

March is rainy season in SF. the best time is september-october, but a college student can't visit at that time. there will always be street performers in SF no matter the weather.

other must sees are: the shopping district on Irving St. in the sunset, the power plant in bayview-hunter's point, and the mansions on Nob Hill.