aaaah asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

i may be bi-polar...is what people say...?

I have really bad mood swings and then other times i am bouncing off the walls because I am so happy. When I get depressed it is for no reason and when I get really happy...it is again for no reason.

• doug k
    Favorite Answer

I know dozens of people who have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. No two are alike. Your description of how you feel fits into the way some bipolar people feel. The ONLY way to know for sure is to make an appointment with a professional. He/she can determine if you are actually bipolar, or if you might have some other thing going on. Being bipolar is serious business. At this point in time, there is no "cure". Bipolar people usually respond to medication and the current thinking is that they must remain on the med's the rest of their life.

I know about this because I was diagnosed Bipolar I over 20 years ago and have been treated with med's and therapy for over 20 years.

First off, ask yourself "does this impair my ability to function from day-to-day?" If you're so happy that you go out and spend more money than you have, then that's impairment. If you're so depressed that you don't get up and go to school/work for days at a time, that's impairment. Unless your moods swings impair your ability to perform daily tasks, you won't be diagnosed as bi-polar.

However, if you DO find that this is the case, I would talk to a mental health professional about being screened for bipolar disorder. They will ask you a series of questions to determine how your mood swings are affecting your life then decide where to go from there.

Source(s): I'm bi-polar and a psych major

Bipolar disorder is characterized with two extreme moods: depressive and manic. Mania is increased sense of self worth, increased speed of talking, decreased need for sleep and usually occurs in much shorter periods than the depressive state. Bipolar is generally caused by neurotransmitter (chemical) imbalances in the brain and is treated with antidepressants and lithium

yep you sound like someone that is bi-polar. Have you ever thought of just being in a pissed off mood all the time? Just a thought. at least you wouldnt have the violent mood swings

It sounds like bipolar, but it depends on the duration of each mood. If you are changing moods frequently in one day, that is not clinical bipolar.

there are so many symptoms to bi polar. however you do seem to have some of the symptoms. you should really go to the Dr. or just look up bi polar on the net to see other symptoms of this. good luck i know it is not an easy road

Source(s): experience my husband and son r both bi polar

You need to seek professional help and find the cause. And start treatment.