can anyone please tell me why my well water smells like rotten eggs?

Favorite Answer

As the others state it is sulfer dioxide. The crap about a oil field near is crap. when your well was drilled and casing was set.they concrete in the casing.after it sets up they dril the bottom out. then the well gets drilled until they get good water flow.your happens to be in the middle of a shale pocket.Hence sulfer dioxide. the best remedy for this is to call the driller,have him pull the pump,and put a liner in the well to get past this layer of rock.But this is a fairly expensive procedure. most people just get their well shocked a couple times a year.Call the well driller have him come out and do this. Have him show you how to do this then you can do it youself.Its fairly simple but you need to get good directions from your driller.Your state laws may vary from ours.

Source(s): I am a well driller.
  • morris

Sulphur. It is underground in many areas. Often it is an indication of natural gas or crude oil in the area.

you need to change the dip tube (anode rod) on the water heater. it's a real pain in the butt if the w.h. is relatively old I recommend changing the water heater putting money into a old unit is like beating a dead horse..

Source(s): mass liscenced plumber

Almost always caused by high sulpher content. Water softener could help.

sulphur or sulphur dioxide