Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

does anyone out there have or know anyone who suffers from PCOS Polycystic Ovary Syndrome & How do u cope?

Favorite Answer

Okay, there are 4 options here

1)Talk to your doc about treated PCOS with the help of perscitions, metaformin, BCP, clomid etc...

2)Take matters into your own hands and go the alterantive route with Vitex.greentea, supplemenrs, herbs,... etc...

3) do both 1 & 2

A;ll these ways will manage your PCOS but not cure it, although managing it can be just as good as a cure, you just have to keep at it, all your life

I too suffer from PCOS I was dianosed 5 years ago, it took about 1 year and like 5 or 6 doctors to figure out what was going on, then once I got my dianosis, I was told I could go on "the pill", which made no sencse to me, I wanted a baby! So I strated to learn and teach myself, all about PCOS what it is, what it does, and what Ic ould do about it. Some how I found comfort (oddly enough) finding out that up to 10% of woman have this disorder (so I wasnt alone ) and up to half don't even know, and those that do know, their doctors are often mistreating them or looking over them as if it wasnt a big deal, but it is

When I found out that PCOS can lead to Diabtes, weight gain, insulin resistance, infertility, ovarian cancer, high colesrol, balness, hair growth in the wrong places (lips, belly...) AHHHH!! All my doctor said was it was an imbalance of hormones that made me not ovulate regularly. Thats what makes it hard to cope with, all the symtoms...which in turn makes it easy to lose sight...

Thats when I went with option #2, alternative medicine. By the way I have 2 kids, and am still managing it, I have less then 30 lbs to go before I am at my goal weight, and I menstrat about every 30-45 days. Yes, I made lifestyle changes, it took a lot of small baby steps, and I got a lot to go, but inch by inch I am in better condition then I was 6 years ago!

There is a website that in my opinion everyone with PCOS needs. Its called www.soulcysters.net Let me tell you, please join, its free, they have ALL types of info, message boards, chat, and even a radio show you can listento online. Trust me, what ever way you go, there are 1000's of other woman who are members of this site, that can inspire, inform, and support you, cause they all have it too, and tried diffrent methods, meds...youll read testimonals, be able to answer questions, ask questions, and BE heard, they have so much info its unbeliveable! Since I am on the alternative side heres a sample message board convo from that end http://www.soulcysters.net/looking-into-alternativ...

There are some great suggestions there. Also there is a specail part of the message boards to discuss what has and hasnt worked persciption wise, as well as a whole host of other topics

PCOS is not curable but with a good support system, friends, family, good trusted doctors, and the help of soul cysters its managable

By the way option 4 is not recomended

4) Do nothing, let everthing about PCOS destroy the fighter in you, and become overwhelmed and do nothing

Look, I've been there, I think anyone with PCOS has, but its not the route that will get you very far,

and just think, you are inspiation to all those other woman, who down the line need an uplifing motivational story about overcoming PCOS..dont miss out on that, it feels great to renew hop in someone, espically when you understand the struggle and know the end of the tunnle is bright and beautiful

I hope all this has helped, if you decide to viit that site www.soulcysters.net they have a lot of resouces and other web sites you can visit to gather info on every aspect of PCOS.

Best of luck and God Bless

Source(s): Myself, copeing for 6 years

I would suggest treating your PCOS the correct way and join a support group (there are some online, I've listed a great site below). I don't know if you are trying to conceive or not...but if so..hang in there. Most women with PCOS are able to get pregnant with proper treatment.

I recommend seeing a reproductive endocrinologist to oversee your treatment.

The underlying cause of PCOS is insulin resistance (IR). The best treatment for PCOS is going on an insulin sensitizing drug such as metformin (1500-2550mg per day) combined with a low carb diet and exercise. There are a few important things to know:

1. Many women "pass" the test for IR, but still respond positively from the metformin. No one knows exactlly why..my thought is that the test is not a sure fire way of detecting the IR.

2. You must be on a high enough dose of metformin. I've heard women complain that their bodies dont start working even though they've been on metformin for awhile. Some doctors are hesitant to up the dose past 1500mg...but for some of us it takes more. I don't respond until my dose is around 2000mg a day.

3. It can take a few months on the correct dose, before your body is regulated.

4. It is important to treat your PCOS even if you are not trying to get pregnant. There are higher risks for many things (high blood pressure, blood clots, diabetes, and many other things) when you have PCOS, but if it is treated properly, then those risks are lowered.

When the PCOS is treated properly, all of your symptoms may not disappear, but they should improve some. It will also be a lot easier to lose weight (and keep it off). Our bodies work against us when we try to lose weight on our own, making it nearly impossible to lose weight.

There are TONS of books about PCOS and dieting. There are two that I recommend. Here's the links at amazon for those (if you're interested):

http://www.amazon.com/o/asin/0809224275/...

http://www.amazon.com/o/asin/0007131844/...

I also recommend a couple web sites:

http://pcos.itgo.com/

http://www.inciid.org/faq.php?cat=infert...

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhp... This one is a great message board where you can ask all your PCOS questions or just chat with the women who are also dealing with PCOS. Good luck.

Source(s): I have been successfully been treating my PCOS for years. I am a co-leader of a PCOS support group.

PCOS can be cleared up with a change in diet, and a natural progesterone cream.

By far the biggest lifestyle contributor to PCOS is poor diet. Young women with PCOS tend to eat far too much sugar and highly refined carbohydrates. Since this is exactly the type of diet favored by teens and young women, it's easy to understand why there is so much PCOS in that age group. Fifty years ago, the average person ate one pound of sugar a year. Today the average teenager eats one pound a week! These foods cause an unhealthy rise in insulin levels. According to Jerilyn Prior, M.D., insulin stimulates androgen receptors on the outside of the ovary, causing the typical PCOS symptoms of excess hair (on the face, arms, legs), thin hair (on the head), and acne. Eventually, this type of diet will cause obesity, this will cause insulin resistance (the inability of the cells to take in insulin), which will aggravate the PCOS even more. The androgens also play a role in blocking the release of the egg from the follicle.

If the egg is not released, no progesterone is made. If no progesterone is made, your estrogen continues to dominate unopposed, causing ovarian cysts.

Source(s): Dr. John Lee: "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause" http://www.johnleemd.com/

hey. Sadly PCOS is still incurable and in addition it is difficult to diagnose timely also. Due to this prevention has a very low chance. But you know women cope with it. I guess every one has a different mechanism. Like tx_angel feels that birth control pill does the job for her.There is medication and hormone therapy to manage the condition. And there are always the herbal route. Its advisable to read up on it. There is a a lot of print literature and material on the internet on the subject. Specifically on how to cope with it like this http://www.healthunits.com/easy-ways-to-lose-weigh... Read up on whatever information is available and then try on the suggested methods. If there is any medicinal intake involved then consult with your doctor before taking it. But as far as having a balanced diet with carbs and proteins, exercising and not smoking is concerned you don't need any consultation. you can do it with out any advice cos these are desired thing in any case.

I have PCOS and was diagnosed 12 yrs ago with it, I am now 28 and doing good. I know being on birth control pills has helped me tremendously in the past however as of now they are not working so great, I guess depending on your age and severity of PCOS it's different for everyone. I stopped taking my BC b/c I was having terrible mood swings, horrible thoughts, gained 15 lbs from it, increased appetite, hot flashes. I go to a specialist that works on controlling it and I am thinking my next treatment will end up being glucophage. For some reason I just can't tolerate BC pills anymore. Unless there is a new one out. I have been on Demulen, Zovia, Mircette, Ortho Novum. Mircette and Zovia really spiked my blood pressure and my mood swings. I wish you tons of luck but if you surf the web there are alot of discussion sites and plenty of great information and that's basically how I keep up to date with PCOS and new treatments such as medicine, diet, etc. Good luck to you :)

Source(s): Myself have had it for 12 yrs...

I have PCOS.... was diagnosed about 9 years ago. Coping is very stressful for me, as my hubby and I want to start a family and things aren't working properly. My doc. has me on Metformin (AKA, glucophage) as most PCOS patients are insulin intollerant, and that can be determined through blood work. I see a Reproductive/Endocrinologist doctor to monitor my symptoms. If you're not worried about the reproductive part, the PCOS is best monitored by a GYN or Endocrinologist as they have more training on what meds to predict and such.

I was diagnosed when I was 22 ( in 2002) I've always been very athetic/thin so when I started packing on the weight for no reason I was extremely alarmed. No matter how hard I tried to stay thin & in shape, I still gained weight. At 22 years old it was pretty much devistating for me. Instead of going out...I usually stayed home bc I was too embarresed to be seen which lead to depression. I was put on birth control & used it for 4 years.

As I've gotten older, I've learned to deal with it & have a very suppotive husband, family & group of friends.

My husband & I have been ttc for over a year now with no luck. I switched from birth control to Metformin (1000mgs a day) & Just finished my 2nd round of Clomid. Still not pregnant but I have one more chance before being sent to a fertility specialist.

If you ever need to chat feel free to email me!

Source(s): Diagnosed in 2002

Giving birth to a new life is indeed a blessing which almost every woman would wish to have. How to get pregnant naturally https://tr.im/nOoEN

Enjoying the feeling of motherhood and raising a family would surely be a couple’s dream. Some get it naturally, while for some others things don’t seem to work as they desire. These reasons which stop a women from conceiving can be due to either physical reasons or truly physiological.

I haven't been diagnosed with it yet,but I'm pretty sure thats whats wrong with me too.I haven't any words of wisdom to send to you but I think I know what you are going through.I haven't had a period in over a year and I have gained over 30 pounds in the stomach area.I have also started gaining more hair growth.I would actually like to have any information that you could give me.....my email is crazy_gal_06@verizon.net any info would be appreciated.

So you came to Yahoo to learn to cope. With the power of the world wide web you can learn how to get rid of PCOS. Thanks for spelling it out for people who do not know what it is. See site below.

http://www.phifoundation.org/menses.html