Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 decade ago

What do you think of the name Alijah for my unborn son?

Alijah pronounced is like the actor Elijah Woods just in case you were unsure of how to pronounce it. A lot of people tell me it sounds Middle Eastern and I don't like that at all. They say it's an Iraqui name but I never thought so before. His middle name will be James after my husband's father. How does Alijah James sound to you?

Favorite Answer

Alijah first of all... doesn't sound the least bit like 'Allah' and second.. it's a nice name.. I like that it's a different spelling.. i get commented on my name all the time.. it's Jasmine with an 'a'.. Jasmina.. people tell me they like seeing it spelled diff.. your son.. your choice.. right

I love it. its a good sounding name. Alijah James sound great together also.

Maybe its because your spelling it with the A rather than an E, that it makes it seem middle eastern to some people. Also Elijah is an old name, jewish name, a biblical name. An tons of people all across the board have this name. so dont worry what others think. I love it and as long as you do thats all that matters

Elijah:

Hebrew - the lord is God. An Israelite prophet in the bible.

Spiritual Connotation: Spiritual Champion.

James:

Hebrew - the Supplanter. A form of Jacob.

Spiritual Connotation: Nurtured.

I tried to look up Alijah and unfortunately it wasn't in either of the baby name books.

Source(s): Baby Names By Anne Matthews The Name Book By Dorothy Astoria

I think its great but I would change the spelling to Elijah James, as it would not sound so much like an Iraqui name. Just my opinion.

now this is just personal opinion, but the name Alijah looks to me like a girls name. I would use the 'e' if u were planning on giving the name to a boy

I think it's adorable, but I'd spell it Elijah. You could call him Eli which is really cute. Alijah, while cute, is hard to read and pronounce and people will have to ask everytime they see it, whereas Elijah is more recognizable.

Alijah sounds clsoe to the islamic God "Allah".

He may have a problem in all countries including the muslim countries as GOD designation is for a very limited people only

Elijah James is a beautiful name for your little boy.

I think it is a very cute name. Why all the worry about it sounding Middle Eastern?

I like the name but i dont think i start it with an a. to me it seems kinda feminine. i would think it was a girl with a male name. the name is nice though even with the E. oh and who cares was ethnicity it sounds like. my son's name is Demitri, which is Greek not Russian (because of the spelling of it) and people are always telling me it sounds russian (which i can understand when i tell them because they cant see the spelling) but i put the question on here like you just did and everyone was like "oh its russian" or "oh it sounds black". i just liked the name