skdalu4444 asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

how often should i visit the dentist?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Your dentist reccomends every 6 months. I make an appointment every two years. I brush every day and floss weekly, so I've only ever had 2 cavities in 26 years and those were on wisdom teeth.

  • 1 decade ago

    "See your dentist twice a year" was actually made up by Procter and Gamble as part of their ads for Crest toothpaste. This was the first widely-disseminated use of the 6 month recall interval. It just happens to work for most people. There are some who are just fine with a longer interval and I have a handful of patients in my practice who have "graduated" all the way out to a 12 month interval. Maybe 20-25% have to come more often than every 6 months, like 3 or 4 months. This is actually usually their choice, even though the suggestion first comes from me. "You know, Bob, we could do a better job helping you keep your teeth if you came in more often for cleanings." "I was just wondering about that....... What do you think?" And so it goes. I have one lady who insists that she needs her teeth cleaned once a month and guess what. She does. I think she just rinses her mouth at home and leaves the rest to me.

    Most insurance plans only pay for two visits per year. Some don't care if you get one cleaning in January and the next in February, but some say it can be no more often than every six months. This is by no means an indication of how often you need your teeth cleaned. It only tells you how often they feel like paying for it.

    The final answer is that how often you see the dentist should be individually tailored to suit your needs.

  • 1 decade ago

    Barring that you have no major dental problems going on, you should see your hygienist every 6 months for a cleaning and at that time the dentist will also do his exam. Usually once in that year a set of xrays will be taken as well. These are vital, because there could be things going on which are only seen through the aid of xrays. A panoramic film should be taken about every 3 years as well to check the health of the entire mouth and the alveolar bones to make sure there are no growths, etc..

    If your mouth is in good health, you should be able to have your cleanings every 6 months. If you have a any gum disease, your hygienist may need to see you a little more for proper cleanings to restore your gums back to a healthy state. It is vital you see them at least twice a year.

    Source(s): I am a Registered Dental Hygienist with 12 years of experience
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Every 6 months is the norm for about 75% of the population. The other 25% need to go more frequently if they have a history of gum disease, have active gum disease, or if they build up tartar more aggressively than the other 75%. Once plaque turns into tartar, it cannot be removed by a toothbrush. Only sharp steel will do the trick then. I have patients that come in every 4 months for periodontal maintenance, sometimes every 3 months, and on VERY rare occasions, 1 time per month. These are generally special needs patients who don't have the physical capability of keeping their teeth as clean as they need to. I hope this helps.

    Source(s): I'm a dentist.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Every 6 months, unless the dentist determines that you need to visit more frequently.

  • 1 decade ago

    If you practice a good oral hygiene. At least once a year for a good cleaning, unless otherwise indicated by your dentist.

  • 1 decade ago

    See a dentist every day! They r lonely & love the company!

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Once every six months for cleaning and maintenance.

    If your dentist discovers a problem, she will bring you in more frequently.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    At least once every six months to have your teeth cleaned. Once a year for a check up exam.

  • 1 decade ago

    Once a year unless your dentist tells you to come back.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.