Do people have examples of books, movies, music videos and other types of art that mix text/type in as well?

Ex - Books: Wizard of Oz, Cliver Barker's Arabat, Alice in Wonderland. Movies: Pillowbook, Schlinder's List, Momento. Graphic Novels: Watchmen, Maus. Fine artists: Jenny Holzer, Barbara Kruger, Glenn Ligon, Magritte. I'm looking for as many examples as possible as I am trying to build an art course on the idea of Image and Text and how the two are worked together. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I know more about painting and sculpture, so here are a few examples that come to mind:

On Kawara

Lawrence Weiner

Joseph Kosuth

Robert Smithson (I'm thinking especially of his "A Heap of Language", and also published Artforum essays which are considered artworks themselves)

Hans Haacke (Shapolsky Manhattan Real Estate Holdings)

Tracey Emin (Everyone I have Ever Slept With)

And of course, it seems that the following would be important theoretical texts to consider:

Roland Barthes, Image/Music/Text ("Death of the Author")

Roland Barthes, Mythologies

Michel Foucault, The Order of Things

Ferdinand de Saussure, General Course in Linguistics

Umberto Eco, A Theory of Semiotics

Walter Benjamin, "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction"

Sol Lewitt, “Paragraphs on Conceptual Art”

Joseph Kosuth, "Art After Philosophy"

Jacques Derrida, Writing and Difference ("Structure, Sign, and Play in the Discourses of the Human Sciences")

Yes however Minimalist can not be used as an instance on this context as it's refering to Industrial tactics and result now not Nature that's healthy. The query naturally requested for examples of messaging whch advertise retaining Nature and the normal atmosphere and now not the consequences of construction, nonetheless near they will look to hyperlink Your argument is simply too tenuous implying Minimalism motives Nature to degrad by means of after results of construction and Industry. Consequently underneath those stipulations (as you suggest inside your reply) you could by no means be capable to reside inside any bodily culture allow by myself open your eyes earlier than continuously being reminded of the whole thing synthetic. Sorry I am now not being smug, nonetheless it had to be stated considering the fact that your reply (nonetheless good supposed) was once hanging dispassionate parallels of that means which on this illustration style particularly faulty analogies. Groovygreen.Com are a internet site who pressure the populist tradition "inexperienced environmental" motion by way of media promoting