umm
umm asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

i want some suggestions for books with appropiate content for young adults?

I am trying to find more authors and books. I pretty much only read Mary Higgins Clark and Agatha Christie now. So I would really appreciate it if you suggested some authors and book titles.

Favorite Answer

John Dickson Carr:

1 - The Emperor's snuff box

2 - The three coffins

3 - The sleeping sphinx

4 - The dark spectacles

5 - The castle of the skull

6 - The yard of the plague, recommended. The answer will amaze you

and many others

Jules Verne

1 - Voyage to the center of the earth

2 - 20,000 leagues of submarine voyage

3 - Five weeks in ballon

Mika Waltari

1 - Sinue the Egyptian

2 - Michael the renegade

3 - Marco, the Roman

Lewis Wallace

1 - Ben Hur

Henry Sienckiewicz

1 - Quo Vadis ?

2 - The deluge

3 - A Polish hero

Fulton Oursler

1 - Modern Parables

Franz Werfel

1 - Song to Bernardette

Franz Kafka. When you read him you must remember that even if he created a new style and was a great writer, was also a schizophrenic

1 - The trial

2 - The metamorfosis

3 - Josefine the singer

Edgar Allan Poe

1 - Annabel Lee

2 - The raven

3 - The crimes of the rue Morgue

4 - The purloined letter

5 - The golden beetle

Miguel de Cervantes: Don Quijote

• Puff

historical fiction authors:Irene Hunt, Janette Oke, Ann Tatlock, Beverly Lewis

classics:Island of the Blue Dolphins, Christy, The Hobbit, Girl of the Limberlost, Fereheit 451, Little Women, Treasure Island,Of Mice and Men, Anne of Green Gables, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

humor:Marley and Me, A Dog's Life, Hail, Hail Camp Timberwood,I Want to Go Home!, The Zuckini Warriors,A long Way From Chicago

mysteries: The Unexpected Mrs. Polifax, Dove in the Window, The Cat Who Talked Turkey,Treasure of Hemlock Mountain,The Face on the Milk Carton

romance: The Locket and its sequel The Carousel, When Comes the Spring, When Calls the Heart, Fifteen,Julie

Hope this list helps!

I personally am not a fan of Agatha Christie. If you want to read a good book, read "The Gospel According To Larry" and "Vote For Larry" by Janet Tashjian. They both deal with issues of young adults and have some interesting points of view.

I like a lot of the Eleanor Estates books like Ginger Pye or Pinky Pye. I also like E. Nesbit who wrote books like The Enchanted Castle and the Story of the Amulet. I also like Girl Hearts by Norma Fox Mizer, I think.

Anne George wrote a delightful series of book (7 of them).

Janet Evanovich is another author of light mysteries.

They may have web sites ...

i loved tamara pierce novels when i read them. she's got a bunch so if you like them you can just keep on going for a while. i also really liked phillip pullman, but those are a little tougher to get through, though they do pick up after the first couple of chapters of 'the golden compass'

• ?

Well, if you like the crime aspect of novels, I enjoy John Sanford novels, but my favourite authors are Neil Gaiman and Mark Danielewski (House of Leaves) for otherworldly.

Any book written by Louis Lamour. They are a very good read for all ages.

Source(s): I have all his books and have read them all over and over.

You can't go wrong with King Fortis the Brave!

I myself have read the book "Lucas" by Kevin Brooks, and I found it amazing. You might enjoy it!