Why should I join the military?

I'm 16 , and when I get out of high school, I really plan on being in the Navy. I don't know how to swim yet but that's what I want to work on. I want to serve my country and be proud. I want to go to college first, but of course, I have a 2.4 ***, which is horrible.

Favorite Answer

Go for it kid, good luck and I wish you success in all you do.

You have a year or two to work on your grades to get them up. If you are not doing well in something, a little study time will help immensely. You need to know the basics, because you will have to take the ASVAB (Armed Services Verbal Aptitude Battery) before joining. Go to a bookstore (Borders or Barnes and Noble) and pick up a study guide, or go to www.military.com to take practice ASVAB tests to find out what your strengths and weaknesses are. The higher grades that you get, the better the job opportunities will be when you join. Take swimming lessons to learn to swim and get in shape by joining a gym.

A lot of people join the military because it is patriotic and something you feel that you should do. Others join when the job market is though, and some for the G.I. Bill and other educational benefits. If you can afford to go to college before going into the service, that is fine, as well. You could go into the Navy as an officer. There are many ways to go about this.

Joining the military is a pretty easy way to become independent right out of high school. The pay is higher than you can expect to receive in a regular job right out of high school and, especially in the Navy, you get a chance to see parts of the world that you might never see otherwise.

If possible, I would definitely recommend going to college first. This will give you an opportunity to join as an officer rather than enlisted. There is a huge difference between the two in terms of things like pay, standard of living, and respect rendered.

There are some negatives however. The armed forces influence young enlisted members to get married by making marriage a condition for receiving BAH. BAH is money for housing that nearly doubles your pay. A lot of young soldiers and sailors get married just to receive this extra pay. These BAH marriages, coupled with the extended periods of time that the military forces families to be seperated (through deployments), leads to a disproportionate number of divorces and broken families in the military.

A lot of people go into the military expecting to do four years, then get out and go to college. Very few actually do. Many get used to the pay and put themselves in such debt that they simply can't afford to do anything but stay in indefinitely. If you are prepared and willing to spend your entire life as an enlisted sailor, then by all means, go for it.

If not, think hard before you join. If you join anyway, have a plan for starting your college education while you are enlisted and continuing it at a four-year university when you get out. Be prepared to endure possibly living on a ship and not having a car so that you can save money and not be forced by financial issues to re-up at the end of your term. Either way, good luck.

Note: You don't have to be able to swim as a prerequisite for joining the Navy. They will teach you in boot camp. It actually may be better to not have experience, as swimming lessons will get you out of some of the more tortuous aspects of boot camp.

Source(s): I'm active duty Navy
  • jack

Don't screw up your life and join the navy instead join the army...

The problem I had with the navy is the tight space/water.

In the army you get the same benifits.....