Does anyone here bake Portuguese Sweet Bread? I have a tried & true recipe but it comes out too dense. Help!

I don't want the SF version with potatoes, but a traditional old country recipe. I used a recipe that tasted wonderful when my grandma made it, but I must be doing something wrong in either the rising or baking process. The tops don't brown unless I overcook them (making them hard) - but if I take them out in time they don't look right! I do a double rise method and the dough rises just fine, have tried a recipe that kneads in flour and another that kneads in butter. Both come out the same for me. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know!

Favorite Answer

What type of flour are you using? Not all are the same. Also your oven temrature may be off get a thermometer to check it. To brown the tops brush with a little oil or butter before baking. A third rise may help do it right on or in whatever you putting it in the oven with. Also the type of potato and how much moister is in it makes a difference. Also altitude if you live at a high one the baking times are different.

Source(s): I was a baker

Broa Doce (Sweet Portuguese Bread) * RATING * 5 out of 5 2 reviews

Servings [Reset]

Keys : Breads Portuguese Portugal European Warm

Ingredients :

1/4cupButter or margarine, melted

3/4cup1% milk

1/3cupGranulated sugar

1pktActive dry yeast

2xEggs, room temperature

3cupTo 3-1/4 cups flour

1/2tspSalt

1xEgg yolk

2tblWater

1tblCoarse or raw sugar*

Method :

* * Coarse or raw sugar is available in specialty stores.

* Melt butter in saucepan on stovetop. Add milk and sugar; stir well and heat to 110 degrees F, slightly more than lukewarm.

* Pour into mixing bowl, stir in yeast to dissolve and let stand 10 minutes.

* Beat in eggs, then gradually beat in flour mixed with salt. Knead dough until smooth and elastic on lightly floured surface. Cover with a damp towel and let rise until doubled.

* Punch dough down, shape into a 7-inch round. Place in greased 9-inch cake pan. Beat egg yolk with water and brush over dough; sprinkle with coarse or raw sugar. Cover with damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled.

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until well browned and hollow sounding when tapped lightly. Cool on rack. Serve warm or toasted. To serve, cut bread into quarters, then slice each quarter into five slices, each about 1-inch thick.

* Makes one 9-inch round loaf

Ive made Mexican sweet bread (conchas). I dont know how similar that is. If you want the recipe, email me.