kittypops1028 asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My cat carries gloves by mouth through the house and drops them in patterns. Why?

It started a few years ago. I noticed he would steal a glove from the coffee table with his mouth, and drop it somewhere in the house. So then I started putting my old gloves in his toy pile in the corner of the house. There are lots of gloves now. When I leave the house he goes to the pile and one at a time, picks one up with his mouth and drops it somewhere. I noticed over time his pattens became more intricate - like a straight path from the front door into the bedroom, with even spacing in between. Once when I was in the tub he lined them from the bathroom door to his kitty bed, then circled his bed with some. Sometimes I just go to the mailbox and come back in 10 minutes, and he'll have lined up 10 gloves. Now I work at home so sometimes he does it when I'm home. I know he is starting because he begins his "work" with a whiny meowing ritual. Why on earth does he do this???

• sixgun
    Favorite Answer

OH MY GOSH! I thought my cat was the only one who had the glove fetish! She would always carry them into the living room, and each time she dropped one she would meow like she was trying to get her kittens to come and enjoy them too.

Another freaky thing my cats did was chew the whiskers off their kittens. Nobody will believe me when I tell them--they think my kids are cutting the kittens' whiskers with scissors. I saw our first cat chew the whiskers of her kittens to stumps.

We sold all the kittens except one, and when that one grew up and had kittens she chewed their whiskers off too! That cat was the one that loved the gloves. Bunch a psycho cats!

Same with my cat. At night, she gets socks, underclothing, etc., from baskets of clothes waiting to be folded, and lays them out in a straight line out in the halway, then in a bend around the couch, and a circle around the table. It is quite amusing. I think it is just because when the owners are maybe busy and cant pay attention to the cat, he/she gets bored or something.

My kitten really loves dusting things. Those big fluffy ones. She found three of them in the house and we didn't even know we had three! She makes sure she has all of them in her site all the time. Then she picks them up one by one and carries them around the house. Those dusting things are bigger then her. I don't understand it either. It's so cute. I would just enjoy it like we do. Maybe video tape it for laughs. ;-)

I think he is just playing. getting some attention maybe. animals do some weird things. My dog rolls in the cover like a sausage and that is how she sleeps.

Just think of it as you have a unique cat, it's just not a normal cat like everyone elses

• rugbee

You have a very unique cat. Interesting!

I've had cats for years and none of them were so precise. Maybe it's his way of entertaining himself, playing.

Only he knows why he does it. I wish I had a better answer for you - but this has to be the cutest thing I've ever heard of!

Source(s): - Proudly owned by 5 furry angels
  • Only he knows.... my sisters cat also puts any clothes on the floor into the litterbox, the reason still escapes me... Its too bad we cant ask them WHY??

This is probably your cats way of dealing with boredom, but then again, cat are just odd creatures.

Source(s): Vet Tech.

cats are just like kids....they crave the attention, that's why he starts mewing before his daily ritual. my guess is that he's trying to keep you curious.

its a sign, man