Possible Grounding Problem?

My computer has been randomly shutting off since my brother built it. He has had no problems with the other 10 computers he has built. But just recently it has been shutting off constantly. And now won't even come on. Tried new power supply, that didnt help. Tried new case, that didnt help, but everytime he takes it out and puts it on a sheet of cardboard it does come on. It's not a short either. Nothing about the processor overheating either. No viruses. Any ideas of what the problem could be?

It doesnt always come on when outside of the case, but when it does come on it shuts off fairly quickly

Favorite Answer

tell your brother to check if there's no metal contact im guessing that the carboard blocks whatever metal with metal is touching

It could be a grounding problem if putting on an insulating surface makes it work.

Chassis ground is mostly likely supposed above earth ground potential and isolated from earth ground, but is tied to earth ground.

• maamu

My answer would have been overheating, but you said that was not the problem

I had a fan go out on mine--had the same symptoms.

Check the motherboard to see if it has the plastic standoffs around all of the screws, and that the cables are intact.