I am going to the dentist today and I'm really scared does the numbing shot hurt?

I have an appointment today at 3:50pm and I'm scared as hell, I'm 19 I know I should be brave but when it comes to sharp things in my mouth I freak out. So they prescribed me Valium, my filling fell out accidently biting on a popcorn with a kernel in it, so now I have this huge hole in my tooth where my... show more I have an appointment today at 3:50pm and I'm scared as hell, I'm 19 I know I should be brave but when it comes to sharp things in my mouth I freak out. So they prescribed me Valium, my filling fell out accidently biting on a popcorn with a kernel in it, so now I have this huge hole in my tooth where my filling used to be. I'm so scared about the shot. Should I be frightened about the needle? Will it hurt bad? What does it feel like?