Suppose I hit a man walking in a highway, and I did exercise "resonable care", should I be liable to him?

Favorite Answer

Chances are good that you'd be held responsible. Pedestrians almost always have the "right-of-way" and those instances in which they don't, darting into the roadway from between two parked cars, for instance, are few and far between. The law generally holds that, if you hit a pedestrian, you cannot have been "exercising reasonable care".

Pedestrians are not supposed to be on a highway. If you hit someone there and if you were not driving too fast or under the influence then it should be viewed as an accident and nothing more. If you were under the influence then even though the pedestrian should not have been there, it's your fault. That plus DUI is completely stupid.

Depends on where he was walking on the highway.

Walking alongside the highway, while dangerous, you have no business driving your care that far enough over to hit him.

Walking in the middle of the highway, dangerous also, I would think that with it being a highway he had no business walking in the middle of it. You would be pardoned.

• ambi

Even with reasonable care you hit a person, which means in my books reasonable care was not used.

If you hit him, the police are not going to see it as using reasonable care or you wouldn't have hit him.

........... how can you exercise reasonable care and still hit him ........... that is the law ......... you should be hauled up ....... for a ''reasonable time care'' ..........