Trade in a car and paying sales taxes?

What do you pay taxes on when you trade in a car at the dealership? for instance, the sale price of the new car is $20,000 and my trade-in will be $12,000, am I paying taxes for the entire $20K or just the difference $8,000?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Every state is different. For instance Indiana and Illinois would consider that tax credit, while Michigan would tax the full $20,000. If you are planning on leasing however, you will get no sales tax credit. I hope this helps.

Source(s): Lead Programmer for "The Auto Evaluator"
  • 1 decade ago

Not sure about other states, but Georgia now pays only the difference - $8,000

• kroner
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

In FL, once you provide somebody a automobile, there's a latest tax on the cost of the article. it would desire to be greater effective for her to 'sell' it to you, for a beneficial inexpensive fee, so any taxes could be negligible. It varies states to state.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Just the difference. You've already paid taxes on the trade-in.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • CP
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It depends on your state. The dealership will likely know, otherwise check with your states Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV)

• gr
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

just the cash difference between the sale price and the trade allowance.

8,000 -

------------

12,000 =taxable

+dealer fees=taxable

license and registraion=non-taxable

• 1 decade ago

you pay taxes only on the difference..however if a rebate is involved, you do pay taxes on the rebate as well

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.