Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why an apple?

Ive never read in the bible ANY verse which calles the forbidden fruit an apple. If it is in fact a literal fruit, and it exists on Earth today, Id have to say it was pomegranate. Pomegranates have always been associated with knowledge, especially spiritual knowledge. I(remember the story of Persephone and Hades) ! would appreciate any intelligent input on this from Christians or non christians. I am not a christian and i am very curious.

Favorite Answer

~~~celtic ,,,It should be interpreted as ",,,Eating from the Tree of Knowledge",,, of course the Apple has plenty of Symbolism attached from various cultures and was most likely a later addition to the Christian Motif by some clergyman,,, I would suppose that an apple was used as The Fruit as it was more widely available and thus a handy symbol for everyone to relate to.

We do not know what fruit was on the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Someone in the past probably called it an apple just to give a visual interpretation of the forbidden fruit. I have eaten many kinds of fruit and I really can't say that I have had any revelation of knowledge from eating any of them. Possibly the fruit mentioned here is no longer on earth. It may have disappeared with the Garden of Eden.

I'm a Christian and I've always wondered that myself. The bible doesn't say what fruit was eaten, so I guess over time people just picked something common that grew on trees. I don't really know, but I think it's important to not get caught up in what specific fruit it was and miss out on the point that they did something they were told not to do because they wanted more power. The vagueness could have been on purpose, because that "forbidden fruit" still exists in our society today but isn't necessarily something that we pick off a tree and eat. Does that make sense?

it was never stated exactly what the forbidden fruit was, and anyone who tells you any different is wrong.

Though the forbidden fruit in the book of Genesis is not identified, popular European Christian tradition has held that it was an apple that Eve coaxed Adam to share with her. As a result, in the story of Adam and Eve the apple became a symbol for temptation, the fall of man into sin, and sin itself. In Latin, the words for "apple" and for "evil" are similar ("malus" - apple, "malum" - evil). This may be the reason that the apple was interpreted as the biblical "forbidden fruit".

It was called a fruit and never referenced anywhere or specifically named. It was a choice given to Adam and Eve. They were free to eat of every other tree in the Garden of Eden but forbidden to eat of the FRUIT only of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. They could touch it, they could look at it but there were forbidden to eat of the fruit. It was a test of choice to obey God or do their own thing. Sadly, they chose something else. We as humans, have and a lot of time will choose things other than God. That is why the salvation of Jesus Christ is so important. The bad news is that all have sinned and fallen short of the perfection required to be in heaven and we get the punishment of eternal separation from God in Hell. However, there is GOOD NEWS, Jesus paid the price for the sins of ALL MANKIND, and if we choose to place our trust in HIM then we have eternal connection with God forever. Spiritual knowledge will never be acquired from anything made on earth. It comes with a relationship with God through Jesus Christ as spelled out in God's Holy Word the Bible. Please see the link below for reference and for other questions you may have. You can also email me. God Bless You.

In fact there isn't nothing in the bible about an apple, only said the forbidden fruit, it's like a gossip from thousands years ago, somebody said that was an apple and since then people say that's an apple, but it's no true. ;)

The writers of Genesis probably left the identity of the fruit ambiguous on purpose. That way any fruit eaten would serve the purpose of remembrance for the godly.

i think they probably wanted to get away from pomegranates so there wasnt any corolation between the mythology and christianity. and they probably also picked an apple not just for the color red, but also because it has a star in it.

It's not in the bible. It's just that people started calling it an "apple" centuries ago and it came along with "tradition". Just like Dec 25 isn't Jesus' birthday.

because when people hear forbidden fruit they think apple. But it was the banana I think.