MariJM asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Going to the gym for the first time..?

I'm a female and it's not like I'm overweight I just need to work out my body because it's flabby and I developed a friggin' tire around my waist....What equipment should I hit, and in what order?

• Mutt
    Favorite Answer

It's hard to say. Everyone is different, and likes to work different areas first. The best thing for you to do is just try one way (cardio first, then strength training), then change it around and see which you like more. The important thing is that you do a workout you enjoy so you keep coming back, and one that will get you to where you want to be.

For me, I do a very intense weight training routine in the morning (1 or 2 muscle groups a day for an hour), then light cardio on the treadmill after. Then, after work, I do a heavier cardio workout. I enjoy it, and I'm getting good results. It may work for you, or it may not. It is just one example of many different ways you can go.

And GOOD LUCK! Keep it up, and don't get to discouraged that you are not getting where you want to be quickly. It takes a lot of hard work and time. Just keep doing it, and you will get there.

Do some cardio first. Try the treadmill, bike, or elliptical. From there do arm work, like lat pull-downs, chest presses, and overhead presses. That's all I do for my arms and I have a rockin bod. Then do abs, and then stretch and you're good! A few weeks of that and you'll notice a big difference.

As far as legs go, your cardio will tone up the legs and butt really well, esp. if it's running. You can also walk/jog on an incline on the treadmill or do the stairmaster if you want to kill two birds with one stone. I don't like the leg machines, I just run and do some step aerobics classes a couple times a week and that's always enough.