How can I repair my broken playstation 2?

I was doing the old "disc read error" repair (by taking off the top and dusting the inside out), but the ribbon which attaches the "restart" and "eject" buttons got disconnected. I don't know where it was attached to before, and now I can't eject or start my playstation 2.

It's one of the earlier models (AKA not slim),

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm angry about my broken-*** playstation.

Favorite Answer

It is likely you have the famous laser problem. You can replace the laser module. I found my on ebay.

Here is the laser part i bought on ebay :

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?A...

You will need to find out your PS2 model before finding the correct laser. You can always ask the ebay seller for advice.

Source(s): Jack's Goose http://www.jacksgoose.com/

If you still have the caseing removed, on the right hand side of the console, between the metal bottom caseing and the plastic caseing that hold the discs, near the front you will see where the ribbon attaches. If you dont see it, it's right infront on the white, orange, and red wires. I suggest useing a pair of tweezers to insert it, so as not to try and take apart the ps2 any farther. Hope that is some use to you.

Now since it's Christmas and now since PS3 is out the slim PS2 comes in sliver and black and is only $100 at Target. Ask for a new one for Christmas because it's not worth it dude! Spend over $30 to repair something that will just break again later?

Your best bet now that the PS3 is out would be to just go to a game store and get a used PS2 for cheap.

No gamestop dosn't restore instruments for consumers. i replaced right into a restore tech. for EBgames before the purchase out. also i comprehend that the used instruments offered by gamestop are not to any extent further even regarded at in the adventure that they artwork on the save at the same time as it replaced into traded in.

Get a PS3