Crystal M asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Why cant i eat 6 hours prior to my dental surgery?

getting my wisdom teeth pulled and i am starving right now!! but i cant eat 6 hours prior to my surgery...i am being knocked out instead of staying awake for it......I WANT TO EAT!!!

Favorite Answer

It is in case you vomit. They don't want you to aspirate it (inhale the vomit) into your lungs. Then you could get pneumonia.

Just imagine yourself waking up during the surgery not knowing where you are and then throwing up because of the nervousness. Where would that vomit go if u are on your back? Yup yup right back down. Hence you choke on your own vomit and die right there in the dentist chair. So take that into consideration b4 u eat anything prior to your surgery. But then again....you are hungry, right ?

As with ANY surgery, you can't eat for at least 6 hours before because you are being put under and there is a danger your muscles are so relaxed that what you eat can come back up and go into your lungs and choke you. Afterwards, go for it.

As with any surgery, you can eat in case you have a problem with the drugs they will use to sedate you. It is dangerous because if you throw up during the procedure you could aspirate & choke. Your brain sortof "shuts down" you digestion during most sedation, so there is always a chance if you have eaten recently, you will vomit. Dont eat! It can be dangerous & cause complications!

Before any kind of surgery, ...not necessarily dental surgery... food is not to be taken after midnihgt or X amount of hours before time,

This is for all surgeries that involve sedation to prevent vomiting. They prefer an empty stomach.

With a drug induced loss of conciousness you will no longer be able to protect your airway from foreign objects or even blood or saliva. In the event that said objects find their way to your airway and or lungs you will suffer aspiration. The worst case scenario is aspiration pneumonia--mortality is 25%.

Interesting. I ate right before my dentist took out 4 wisdom teeth.

Source(s): Jack's Goose http://www.jacksgoose.com/

This is incase you vomit during surgery. As you are having General anaesthetic, it can be very dangerous to vomit at this point. It's best just to go hungry.

stuff on the teeth and gums might get in the way of the surgery, or you might throw up.

In case you have a reaction to being put under, like vomitting.

They want your stomach empty !