Is it legal to copy a CD you own for archiving or for use in another format?

PLEASE PROVIDE OR QUOTE THE ACTUAL US COPYRIGHT LAW CODE THAT YOU ARE BASING YOUR ANSWER ON

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There are some limitations. Whether the court allows you to reproduce, distribute, adapt, display and/or perform copyrighted works depends upon the nature of the use (commercial purposes, non-profit, educational), the length of the excerpt, how distinctive the original work is, and how the use will impact the market for the original work.

Fair Use Doctrine {USC Title 17, Sec 107

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is no actual law that says you have the right to copy a cd you own....It's more of an understanding, or interpretation of another law. The copyright laws exist to make sure that you own content you are using, so that the creator of the content gets paid for it. Otherwise it is like stealing, so they made it illegal. The fact that you own the cd means that you can copy that cd 3000 times, as long as you only use them for yourself. I do not know where the link is for this, but I can explain it easily for you. On recent television commercials and web banners, there have been many ads for sites selling mp3 singles for around a dollar each. They say that after you purchase, you are free to burn the song. What they are selling you is the RIGHTS to the song, so that you own it, without actually having a physical copy. If this was illegal, the government would shut down things like apple itunes, and obviously, it isn't happening.

razor

• 1 decade ago

yes

as long as you do not give it away or sell it

you own the rights to reproduce it for your own use when you purchase it

Source(s): wolf
  • 1 decade ago

honestly.. i don't think it matters anymore... unless you sell it or play it for a crowd

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i forwarded yahoo zain to FBI

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.