Kurt asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

In weightlifting, how many sets and reps are ideal for adding bulk?

I know I need heavy weight, but how many sets and reps should I do?

Favorite Answer

As you first start out lifting heavy, make sure you have a spotter!!

You also need more than just heavy weight, you need *intensity*. Meaning it's going to hurt and you must fight through it to get that one last rep out.

I recommend taking a workout to find your current max weight, for instance bench press. Start out light. I don't know your current max, so let's say you're a complete beginner. Can you press the bar (45lbs)? Do a couple to warm up, maybe 8 reps. Then slowly add weight, doing no more than 2-3 and keep going up till you can barely get 1 rep at weight X. Maybe you end up going:

45lbs x8

65 x6

85 x5

105 x3

135 x1 so let's say your max is around 135 (probably a little more since you'll be a bit tired), so from now on when doing heavy bench, I'd warm up at 45, then do 4 sets of 4-6 reps at 105lbs. If you're feeling good try to hit 135 for a set of 1 or 2 reps. As you get stronger you need to keep pushing yourself and adding weight. If you can get 6 reps easy at 105 then you need to go up!

Make sure you are taking in a lot of calories and protein when you are lifting heavy. Ease back on the cardio, you don't want to waste those calories.

have fun!

3-4 Sets

6-8 Reps

like the person said,

6 to 8 reps you need to start approaching or have reached failure.

if you pump out 6 to 8 to easily you need to increase the weight.

3 to 4 sets.

as many as possible