how can I shrink denim / jeans that have stretched from wearing them a few years?

these are well worn jeans that have stretched over time. I do not want them to fade so I am not sure if washing in hot water or putting them in the dryer is the best solution. suggestions?

Favorite Answer

Hot water and a hot dryer (for about twice as long as usual) are inexpensive things to try, but your jeans will stretch back out when you wear them. Also, the fabric shrinkage may not be in the areas that you expected (or hoped for).

If you really love them and want them to fit properly again, a tailor can work wonders for $20 or less. It may seem drastic for an older pair of pants, but if you must have that particular pair then it's the only way to make them truly fit like new.

• H.L.A.

Try buying a size that fits you next time. I had this happen with a pair of jeans. They fit me once, then I gained 7 pounds and they got stretch marks in them because they were too tight. (They were also stretch-denim jeans). I learned my lesson from that not to wear too tight of pants, otherwise you will not get the shape back no matter how high of a setting you use in the dryer. Taking them in won't work either. It's the same as your skin. If you get stretch marks in your skin, they never go away.

hot water and hot dryer. If they are a few years old, they shouldn't fade any more. however, they will probably just stretch out again with wear.

It depends how stretched they are -- I had a friend who wore her favorite denim overalls a lot during her pregnancy and they stretched out in the belly area and there is no way to get them smaller!

thats probally the only way to shrink them

they shouldnt fade if you do it only a couple times

you can try using cold or hot water. (use the one that is opposite that u normally use) and use a different laundry detergent.