If a Helicoil insert is used to fix a thread and it fails, do what?

I have a blown spark plug in a Ford aluminum cylinder head. It was repaired once with an insert (Brand unknown) and I was wondering if in fact, it's a helicoil, is there a tool available or some method of removing the old helicoil so that I can go to the next bigger size. Any info will be appreciated

Favorite Answer

While I agree with the other two answers to some degree, I would like to point out that heli-coils are only what I like to call "band aid" solutions. What is the year and mileage of the vehicle? If you've already had a helicoil installed once and it blew out again, I'd say it's time for a new cylinder head. I appreciate the fact that it may be expensive, but it's a decision only YOU can make. Let me guess, is it a 4.6L or 5.4L engine?

Try another helicoil... maybe the first one was done incorrectly. If it blows out again it's time for a new head.

Source(s): Ford Tech
  • Tim B

I,m a ford tech that is a temp fix not approved the only thing to do is replace cyl head

Source(s): ford and ase tech

once that spark plug blew out and you used a heli-coil to fix it that was your only time. you will now have to replace the head.. you will never get the heli-coil out without filling your engine full of metal.once we heli-coil and put a plug in it it is time to trade it off.

Source(s): ford tech

sure it will be performed, be careful no longer to cut back to rubble the hollow anymore then what it really is. Take your time and it really is going to paintings. I had to do this once at the same time as my chum stripped his threads at the same time as eliminating the spark plug at the same time as the engine became nonetheless warmth (aluminum) reliable success.