HD DVD & Blu-Ray Players?

Do you have to have these players connected to the internet in order to watch a HD movie?

And if so, why do they need to be connected to the internet?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Look up the info you need on http://en.wikipedia.org/ ...

The players that you are talking about are hard drive video recorders.

_

_

_

_

• 1 decade ago

No....That is not true at all. They are stand-alone players that just require a disk to play an HD movie. I don't know where you heard that. They are the same exact concept as DVDs. You put in a movie, press play, and the movie starts. The only difference is that the discs themselves hold more information on them because HD movies require more space to be held on. They are not backwards-compatible with DVD players because the lasers that read DVDs are not capable of reading Blu-ray or HD-DVD.

In my opinion, it is not worth it to jump on the bandwagon just yet on HD media. I am waiting until they release a player that will play both HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, or until one is declared a winner.

• 1 decade ago

No, but an internet connection is a convenient way of downloading the latest patches which contain firmware updates to fix bugs and improve performance of the players.

Thus, an internet connection is not required in any way to view a disc, but is recommended for updates. Without an internet connection, you will need to phone the manufacturer of the player to mail you a disc containing any firmware updates, which can take a couple of weeks.

• 1 decade ago

No, they don't have to be connected to the internet. The internet connection is only for extra features such as watching recent movie trailers, web browsing, etc.

Apparently, the MPAA (motion picture company of america) originally wanted these devices to always be connected to the internet so they could manage your usage, but luckily that one didn't stick.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.