Liz21 asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

In how long does birth control ortho-trycline lo take effect to clear up severe acne?

PLZ i need advise on how long bc takes effect to either clear it completely or show results. I barely started taking bc this week.

Thanks

Favorite Answer

ummm.. i dont know about it working for SEVERE acne... but i had moderate acne and it took about 3 months... and then my face is clear! with an occasional pimple... but a lot better than it was before... the only other thing that worked for me (when mine was severe) was antibiotics.

• Amanda

There is never a guarantee that birth control will cure or even reduce acne. Birth control increases hormone levels, and there's no way to tell how YOUR unique body will react to that hormone increase.

it won't clear up severe acne...it will help clear it up a little, though. I say by your 3rd week, it should be a little better. With things like this, your acne will typically get a little worse before it gets better.