smi asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

i am feeling very depressed ? what do i do ?

Favorite Answer

Depression is usually a result of a chemical imbalance in the brain. It is the serotonergic system, which is not producing sufficient serotonin, which not only balances your mood, makes you happier, but also helps you to sleep.

Let me guess, you have also been experiencing poor concentration and sleeplessness? You feel as though you have lost your place in the world and you simply do not know how to get it back?

Some of the answers have a grain of truth. Sunlight is important, which is why most cases of depression occur in winter, when there is less light. - You must however take in sunlight early in the morning in order to affect the correct timing of the production of serotonin, Eating foods which are high in 'tryptophan,' which is converted to serotonin also helps; - foods such as bananas, turkey, nuts and yes, some chocolate a few hoiurs before bedtime also help to boost the production of sorotonin, but don't overdo it!

In the evening make sure your lighting is dull and that when you go to bed you sleep in the dark, - this will also assist the serotonergic system to function appropriately.

Exercise is also good as it boosts the production of endorphins and enkephalins in the brain, which can give your mood a lift.

Most importantly, go and talk either to your doctor or a counsellor, as they can also help by suggesting approaches, which you may not have thought of.

If you feel unable to talk to a doctor / counsellor, then talk to a friend as sometimes simply getting things off your chest can make you feel so much better.

Hope this helps. If I can be of any further assistance, contact me!

Sunshine and exercise like the others said. Get out of the house, get involved in something new (a project), go to lunch with friends. If the depression is tied to something, talk to someone about it. If it has lasted a long time and you've tried everything you can to get rid of it, you may need to talk to a psychologist.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

Brown paper packages tied up with strings

These are a few of my favorite things.

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels

Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles

Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes

Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes

Silver white winters that melt into springs

These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites

When the bee stings

When I'm Feeling sad

I simply remember my favorite things

Then I don't feel so bad..............

eat chocolate for a quick fix (it produces a chemical in which "makes you happy"

then put more exercise into your everyday schedule to make it stay that way.

how old are you?

if your a teen new studies prove you need 9 1/4 hrs sleep.

go to bed an 1/2 hr earlier.

Enjoy your depression.

exercise, exercise, exercise. it works wonders, especially if you live in a cold climate.

After the storm, and cloudy days, it will be sunny! don't hang on too long...........

Do PEE is good for you... I meant

Pray

Exercise

Eat

SUNSHINE! It will do wonders to your mood.