my gas fireplace won't start?

I have 2 yaers old gas fireplace.

pilot light is on but when I turn my switch on the wall to "on"position , it won't start. I also had difficult time lighting my pilot light and I had to light it with my lighter.

Favorite Answer

Bummer. Thank goodness my old school one still works. It uses this stuff called wood.

Maybe it has a thermocouple similar to a furnace? If it's failed it would prevent it from turning the gas on.

I recently had a problem lighting the pilot light, I called in a local company who services them and the only problem was dirt in the orfices, which are around the pilot light. They recommended having it cleaned yearly. Watch how they do it, very simple, then you can do it yourself. But you may have another problem as well, because once it is lit and stays lit it should turn on. Check to make sure it is in the on position. Good Luck.

• Cheryl

If you don't hold the pipe going into the wall from turning, it will come out with the start pipe. That will be ok, as long as the piece inside the wall stays put,and you can insert the new pipe into it. Why do you need to remove the gas start pipe? Why don't you just buy replacement (individual) ceramic logs and place them in the fire box around the starter pipe and use it that way if it gives a pleasing flame.

• Papa

You didn't forget to turn the knob from the pilot position to the on position did you.....

You better get a burner tech in to take a look at it, there are too many variables possible to answer that question.