math asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 1 decade ago

What is the best way to encourage a 13-yr old teen to study his lessons?

He is always in front of the computer playing games. His studies suffered a lot.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

well, if you really want him to study take away his computer and tell him he'll only get it back if you see him study AND he shows you his work. if he's on the computer every waking hour when he's home you should also deal with it because it's an addiction that is serious and not to be joked about. Good Luck.

• 1 decade ago

You need to be in control. At this point, "encouragement" involves enforcing the rules. Change the password (or add one) to the computer, take away one if it is in his room. When his studies are done and he can pass a "home study test" that you will give him every night, then he gets the computer time.

Establish an email relationship with his teachers to be sure that the homework is being done accurately and adequately. I would suggest that you call a school conference with teachers to bluntly tell him where his grades are suffering (tests, homework, participation) and why.

If his grades don't improve over a stated period, then take the computer away altogether and don't give it back until he reaches pre-stated goals.

If he has fallen behind and missed material you may have to arrange for tutors for a bit.

• 1 decade ago

he is like my little brother tell him that when he is eighteen he will be kicked out of the house even if he doesn't have much money and will have to get a job before then or he won't be able to take care of himself but EVERY job includes math so if he doesn't study he won't get a job anywhere and since he won't have a job he will become homeless and also tell him that you won't give him money. it worked for my brother and he got really freaked out. (oh yeah, once he is 18 if he did do his homework before anything if he doesn't have enough money still than let him stay until he has enough but if he still doesn't do his homework than truely kick him out when he is 18, well at least for a while) also take away ANY privledges inclucding tv video games computer etc

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Playing computer games becomes addictive. You should not have the computer in his room but have it where you can see what he is doing on it. Limit the amount of "game time" to correspond to his grades. And I would suggest that you try and get him involved in sports rather than the computer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Walk up and unplug it, then pull out the belt and prove to them your the parent and get there butt in and do there homework.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

say something like if you study and get good grades ill pay you, thats sure motivates me

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ask him what he wants to be in the future then tell him that he'll need the good grades to reach his dream.

• 1 decade ago

become his friend and do it with him a few times he'll start enjoying it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.