What are dreams?

I really don't know how to go about it.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Different takes on dreams:

1.A series of images, ideas, and emotions occurring in the mind during the 5th stage of sleep known as the REM stage.

2. According to Freud our dreams are made up of latent content which are the true meaning of our dreams, and the manifest content which is the form our dreams take in whatever symbols our unconscious mind chooses.

3. Since the beginning of recorded history dreams have been thought to have powerful significance on our lives as human beings. Many believe dreams are visions meant to guide us.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A dream is a unconscious event in which your subconscious shuts down and your inner, unconscious brain starts to work.

Some scientists claim that dreams are a way for the brain to sort through all the muddled mess of your brain and put things in neat, organized order.

Other people claim that dreams are a way for your mind to tell you important things. Many people, including myself, use dreams as a way to interpret our waking life.

A dream is a good way to see within your mind, because you are not in control of your dreams at night.

Unless you have Lucid Dreams, which are rare.

• 1 decade ago

Dreams are a format for your body and mind to rejuvenate itself. Tests of detailed scientific works have shown that just sleep alone is not good enough. You have to be able to dream. The subjects of this test were allowed to fall asleep but as soon as REM set in they were awakened.

Rapid Eye Movement is a sign of dreaming. After some time the subjects deprived of dreaming but not sleep went buggy! Mental health went down the tubes and in three days the scientists quit to let their volunteers dream. After all that deprivation I can imagine the wacky dreams they had!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your dreams and their meaning can now be revealed by those amazingly dream interpretors who have written books about the meaning of dreams, their knowledge is sufficient to reveal to you the meaning of your dreams.

Everyone dreams although many people do not remember their dreams or do not pay them any attention. Yet Meaning of Dreams often contain significant information for them, putting light on what has happened in their lives, or what is happening and providing insights about their future. In many ancient traditions, dreams were considered to be messages from the gods.

Dreams are said to be your mind's way of making sense of the various issues it deals with on a day to day basis-whether it is work, family, health, or relationships. Dream Psychology help sort out all the information and events that you are subject to during your day creating a way for a person, free of conscious limitations, to understand what is really going on, to solve problems, to gain clarity and insight into a situation, issue, or person read dreams.

Now, in this definitive translation by James Strachey, Freud's timeless exploration of the dream world is clearly and precisely rendered. Including dozens of case histories and detailed analysis of actual dreams, The Interpretation of Dreams remains an invaluable tool in helping us all discover the truth about ourselves.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Dreams are a creation of the brain while it is in REM sleep. Some scientists suggest they are only a way of the brain exercising itself by creating random impulses. Others suggest they are not at all random, that they do have a purpose besides exercising the brain, and also a meaning. That they are closely related to one's experiences in life.

What i can tell from my experience is that they do express clearly the most important things that are going through the mind - problems with girlfriend, with family,wishes,etc

• 1 decade ago

There are no simple answers. Dreams can be our mind

letting of tension. Our body warning us of sickness.

Or memories of things that happen to us when we

travel in the spirit world during sleep!

We can learn to control our dreams. To the point we

become aware of our Astral travels!

Source(s): Anthony Silva
  • 1 decade ago

Definition of dreams: (1) Dreaming is building castles in the air. It is when you use you imagination to create a reality you long for. When you forsee a state you want to attain and you mold it in your head. (2) Dreaming is when you are asleep at night or during the day and your consciousness is flowing with ideas embodying fears and hopes and it accesses you imaginative ability and forges pictures and animations of what you long for, what you fear, what you hope for, what you are angry about, what you hate, what you regret, what saddened you, what made you happy etc.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

dreams help us to understand & learn by tracing their hidden significance,including the ways in which dream symbols interact with eachother in mysterious but meaningful sequences. dreams are a conversation with oneself,a dialogue of symbols & images that takes place between the unconscious & conscious levels of the mind.

Source(s): been helping people to understand dreams all my life
  • 1 decade ago

Sometimes I think that dreams are situations that we want to happen, other times I'm not so sure.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dreams are your escape from reality

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.