Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christmas?

what is it about these days:

Jesus: Peace and goodwill. Saviour of all, basis of religious belief.

Santa: Presents, unnecessary spending and queues.

• Micah
    Favorite Answer

It's all about Santa,commercialism, going in debt, greediness, drunkeness, and you also forgot lies (everything Jesus condemns)

X-mas use to stump me at times as well. With all the BS surrounding it like Santa and flying reindeer. It would boggle the mind on how people would just eat this stuff up. Why for the kids yes and yes. Just to get them to behave for an entire year. Ha! I wait all year long and I receive some piece of crap. Wrapped in gift wrap for a month just to mess with me some more. Why are you getting presents if its Jesus birthday anyway. But really folks when it all comes down to it, its about the money. At no other time for the entire year does any of the major conglomerates give you such a break for your buck. Fin

Source(s): The north pole and Mr. old man winter.
  • cnm

Also His birth, his love for us, his sacrifice. These are the things it SHOULD be about. Unfortunately today Santa and the rest of what you listed are more popular.

The tradition of gifts seems to have started with the gifts that the wise men (the Magi) brought to Jesus. As recounted in the Bible's book of Matthew, "On coming to the house they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshipped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh."

Christmas was largely a non-event in America until the 1860s. 1867 was the first year that Macy's department store in New York City remained open until midnight on Christmas Eve. 1874 was the year of the first window displays with a Christmas theme at Macy's. It has snowballed from there. The Santa Claus story combined with an amazing retailing phenomenon that has grown since the turn of the century, has made gift giving a central focus of the Christmas tradition.

Society, as a whole, has moved away from what Christmas is really about and why we even have a Christmas to celebrate to begin with: Jesus.

Jesus is not the 'saviour of all', and Santa is not about 'unnecessary spending'.

I love Christmas. I like to spend time with my family.

Source(s): What about you.
  • angel

Jesus, is the best gift. I hope many find Him this Christmas season.

• Christmas is about love. Gift giving is about showing love and acceptance. I will agree with you that stores have comercialized Christmas, however, it is up to the person to decide what Christmas means to them.