*STAR* asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I have a 9 month old papillon puppie. How long does it take for her to be full grown?

She is the runt. I got her from a good breeder and payed quite a bit of money for her. I have all the needed papers on her. She is very small she weighs only 4 pounds. Her hair has grown around her ears chest and tail but nothing like I had expected. Does having a runt mean that she will not develop like a dog that is not? She is white with carmel coloring on her tail and has the stripe up the middle of her forhead white/ her ears are carmel with just little bits of black on them. I understand theses markings on the papillons to typically mean they have more hair than the others. I just want to ensure theat my dog is going to grow up to be the size and shape she should be, Thanks for your help!

Favorite Answer

i have a 2 year old female papillon. she only wiegh around 5-7 pounds. they will get the longer hair eventually. this is my first papillon and i look up different sites on them and found out the information i wanted. she will grow some more probaly but you dont want them to big.

I brush rainee at least once a week. she is colored somewhat like yours. also on one of those sites it showed a papillon from a puppy up to 9 jmonths old and he didnt have all the long hair like my does. my answer would be to look up those sites or just brush her and see what happens.

• lizzy

Small breed dogs are usually done growing at 9 months, so she is probably as big as she is going to get. Most runts do just fine, but some do have other health problems. Sometimes being small is a sign of a liver shunt, but these can be hard to diagnose. Her hair may continue to come in though.

Runts typically stay small than the breed standard, and a pure bred dog can take up to 2 years to grow to its full height and breadth. You can usually tell what type of fur she will have by looking at her parents, or if you cannot look at her parents, then u will just have to wait a while and see how it fills out.

LARGE breed dogs continue to grow until they are two years old. My Labradors were done growing in height mostly by 9 months of age and drastically slowed in height growth after just 6-7 months of age... however they continued to fill out in chest, etc. until even age 2+. In contrast, small dogs mature sooner as far as size goes. My Papillon was full height at 6 months and by 6 months his coat was just starting to look much better after his "puppy ugly" stage. Papillon coats continue to grow and fill out until age 2 and most Paps don't start to look their best coat-wise until age 1 and beyond. Fringe on ears continues to grow even beyond age two if well maintained.

A toy breed like the papillon is full grown by 9 months. Her coat, however, isn't all there yet. She'll still grow her adult coat, but not likely to get any larger.

From what I've been told and from what I've researched, it takes at least 2 years, for dogs to be totally developed, inside and out.

about a year