Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & Employment · 1 decade ago

Should I quit this new job?

I recently found a new job. Today is day 3 for me. The job itself is fine but I don't feel that I fit in w/ the other people that work there. I don't want to say that I am better then everyone that is already there but I just don't feel I fit in personality wise. What might I be missing on this one? Please help. I think today will state this to my boss.

Favorite Answer

don't quit that job until u get the new one

Hi, I don't know about you, but I usually follow my 'instinct' on this type of issues. If immediately you seem not to feel comfortable and sense you miss or have in extra something to fit in, it might not be the right place for you to develop your future. Although you might want to give it a shot and give yourself a reasonable amount of time (s.a. 3 months) to see whether things loosen up after a while. Maybe in between colleagues some issue is pending and you as a newcomer can not follow yet. Or it is the regular Christmas stress. And are you by any chance replacing somebody that they loved a lot or so? Did you get anybody else's wished promotion? Find out!

If no reason seem to be valid except just difference in being, I would leave, as long as this does not happen in every place or new job you start with. And mind you do not create an enormous mess (financially or legally) to get out. Do you have another job in mind? Also important to consider.

I left once a job after 3 weeks, but new I could start right away somewhere else. It helps.

Well first of all. Good luck finding a job where you fit in exactly the way you want to. I say keep the job and experience something new. Experience getting to know someone different from you. It may take a while to get used to it but in the end you might find it to be a rewarding experience. You could learn a few things you never know until you try it. I've worked in a factory, I've worked in retail and now I have a good job with a bank...in each one I've met all sorts of different people and each one has taught me a little bit on how to discover myself and who I am....so...Good luck and happy holidays.

Because looking for a job while you are employed is not cheating and you job doesn't have feelings. Another thing, you NEED a job to support yourself. You don't need a relationship. Actually sometimes it's best to be alone between relationships.

• thmtom

Give it time. The new kid on the block aways has trouble making new friends. After three months (not 3 days) if you still do not fit in, start mailing out resumes.

Besides it is bad for your career to be leaving jobs as soon as you are hired.

• PRS

This does happen sometimes. Give it a little more than 3 days though, you might find that you fit in better than you think. But if you are really uncomfortable go ahead and quit and look for something more suitable.

You didn't give much info in your question. Pardon me, but it sounds like you think you ARE better than them, and perhaps you are. This isn't what you should say to the boss, though. If you are set on quitting, just quit, but it may be more difficult getting the next job. Maybe not.

I think you should give it more than 3 days.Give the people a chance to get to know you.I also feel if you are lucky enough to have a job you should keep it.I don't know where you live ,but people around here would kill for a job.Try to stick it out for awhile,you may really like the people when you get to know them.Good luck.

I know how that feels. You feel trapped and the need to get out. But you need to give it some time. Maybe after things get settled down, you might realize you really like it. In the end if you completely dislike it, you can always leave. Best of luck.

Don't quit so soon. I would give it at least two weeks. You really can't tell after three days. I was ready to quit my new job in the first couple of days, but I didn't. I'm glad I stayed.

I think we all feel that way when starting a new job. It's only been two days so you really haven't had a chance to get to know everyone. give it at least a few months then make your decision.