Why is there ice on the inside of my windshield?

Even if all the windows are up? It's a brand new '07 Toyota Matrix. I am having to scrape the inside of the window, I don't think this is normal, is it?

Favorite Answer

no this is not normal.

the only way to get moisture inside your car is to have a liquid inside your car.

most commonly the problem would be a coolant leak in the heater core that causes this ... but your car is new. any sweet smell?

you can check the carpet and trunk areas for water by lifting the carpet and feeling the pad underneath. - someone might have left a window open at the dealership.

remove any open containers - even an open soda can release enough vapor to condense on the windshield overnight.

if u just bought the car second hand and the dealer shampooed the carpets that could be the cause - just crack a window to vent the vapors during the day and the condensation should stop forming shortly.

again the only way to get condensation in your car is to have evaporation happening inside your car.

hope this helps

Source(s): 20 years mechanic

This will sound crazy, but it actually works. If you turn on the heat and the air conditioning at the same time, then the air conditioning removes the moisture so that the windshield does not fog and the heat keeps the car from getting too cold. The other option is to just wear a winter coat, hat, scarf, etc., the same as if you were outside and it was the same temperature. With enough clothing, a person can survive in weather so cold that windshields get ice, not fog.

I have this problem (but with an older car). Moisture may be getting into your car - this could be coming from the seals (window seal, sunroof seal, windshield). The good news is (hopefully) the dealer can take alook at it since it is brand new. Also, you should do a google search for a Toyota forum where you can post the question there - I've found people to be VERY knowledgeable and helpful on the individual forums (I've used the BMW and Volvo forum with great luck). Good luck

I don't think it's a leak, being that is a brand new car. I would think it's the air conditioner that's constantly hitting the window and fogs it up.

there may be 3 reasons for your problem.

1.Air is a mixture of all the gases and MOISTURE (water vapor).

at extreme cold conditions (near 0-5 degree centigrade) the water vapor will condense to form ice.

2.All the mechanical instruments(window-door, dash board) will have some gap between them, which will allow air to enter in. CAUTION: never make the vehicle air tight. you may suffocate and even die.

3. there may be a unusual leak in the carburetor of your vehicle. please take expert advice on this to fix the problem.

You must live in Canada.