Isoelectronic?

Which of the following is not isoelectronic with the others?

Sc^3+

V^4+

Cl^-

Si^4-

Ar

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi!

Two or more molecular entities (atoms, molecules, ions) are described as being isoelectronic with each other if they have the same number of electrons and the same structure (number and connectivity of atoms), regardless of the nature of the elements involved.

Sc^3+ has 18 electrons

V^4+ has 19 electrons

Cl^- has 18 electrons

Si^4- has 18 electrons

Ar has 18 electrons

All the ions and element (Argon) have 18 electrons except for Vanadium ion, which has 19 electrons.

Therefore...V^4+ is not isoelectronic with the others.

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoelectronic Me, myself, and I
  • ritu
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Two or more molecular entities (atoms, molecules, or ions) are described as being isoelectronic with each other if they have the same number of electrons or a similar electron configuration and the same structure (number and connectivity of atoms), regardless of the nature of the elements involved.

• 4 years ago

isoelectronic means having the name number of electrons. a neutral N atom has 7 electrons, so an N3- ion has 3 more electrons, which gives 10 electrons. a neutral Neon atom has 10 electrons and thus is isoelectronic with N3- Ba has 56 electrons, so Ba2+ has 2 fewer, or 54 electrons Xe has 54 and thus is isoelectronic with Ba2+

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

hellllooooooooooooooo

Source(s): heiwg'
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.