Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Why doesn't Russia just let Chechnya go?

Chechnya has been fighting to get out from under Russia's thumb for over 200 years. Why is Chechnya so important to Russia?

• ?
    Best Answer

My thoughts exactly. It has to be because they are Muslims. Russia let all of the eastern block go without a problem.

OR -- Because they can.

Any country will refuse to grant freedom to its states / provinces / territories because it would open the door for other states / provinces / territories to think about, then want, then demand their own independance.

The 3 Muslim provinces in southern Thailand want their freedom too but the government of Thailand will never give it to them because of the rest I stated above.

What do you think the USA would do if Hawaii wanted to become an independent country? Let them go? I don't think so.

A few reasons:

1.Russia doesn't want a muslim state on their doorstep

2.Some citizens of the region are Russian and don't want to seperate

3.It might encourage other regions to fight for independence.

• Lily

I wouldn't say it is important. Like the above I think they just want to keep them under their thumb "because they can".