Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 1 decade ago

Who drew up the map of Israel?

I just looked over the map and it looks like an extremely poor geographical and defensive design. Why wouldn’t Israel claim the Gaza strip take half of the west bank and give up and equal amount of coastline and area to the north and wedge the rest of the mass against the Golan Heights? That way Israel would have a buffer between Lebanon and Syria. Palestine would be a unified nation instead of divide up and Israel would be whole as well. Event if they had an initial financial setback from the move I am sure they would build soon build these areas up soon enough.

I have never been there and don't know the semantics of the situation but it looks like a mess

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When Israel was first granted as a homeland for the Jewish people under UN mandate, the British protectorate known as Palestine was divided into six regions -- three Israeli, three Palestinian. Both sides controlled roughly the same ammount of territory, had access to the coast and connected with each other at points where citizens could easily move from one region to the other without really leaving their home country. Over the years, Israeli settlers encroached more and more into Palestinian lands while the State of Israel claimed more and more territory until it claimed the entire of Palestine.

This began in 1948 during the Arab-Israeli war in which Jordan captured and claimed the area we know today as the West Bank. The region iself was part of the planned Palestinian State. In 1967, Israel recaptured the area in the Six Day War but did not reclaim it, as it were. In 1988, Jordan reliquished its claim on the land and is currently considered to be part of no state. Continuous Arab-Israeli conflict also saw Israel control (though not necessarily claim) the area of the Golan Heights, the Sinai Penninsula and the southern edge of Lebanon.

A large reason why there was such expansion and conflict was Israeli settlers who set up homes on Palestinian lands and haven't been particularly inclined to leave. The governments of Israel itself, with a few exceptions, have made little effort in relocating the settlers.

The problem, though, is the semantics of the area. For Israel to take the Palestinian controlled West Bank and Gaza Strip would be further insult to Palestinian pride. Palestine as a whole is militant enough with groups such as Hamas (which is currently in control of the government) and such an action would likely spark violence that we haven't seen from them since the 1980s. To relocate Israelis would also be bothersome since the government can't seem to force settlers off of land that's not theirs, they will deffinitely not be able to force Israeli citizens from land which is for the most part recognised as rightfully Israeli.

Don't get me wrong, I like your idea, but in the face of the situation there, it's hopelessly idealistic. To put it briefly, it all comes down to pride, nationalism, and a long history of mutual resentment.

• 1 decade ago

Well the middle east is a little more complicated than drawing some lines on a map. Israel can't just annex the Gaza strip and half the West Bank and expect everyone to be happy. There have been dozens of borders for Palestine worked out on maps, but not everyone agrees on those borders. Wars have been fought over them. One of the biggest sticking points in recent peace deals is the status of Jerusalem; both sides want it. In fact, both sides want pretty much all of Palestine, that's what the conflict is all about.

Giving territory next to the Golan Heights might seem like small bones to you or me, but to Israelis, it's a huge deal. The Golan Heights are a strategic spot; an invasion from Syria is much easier to stop with the Heights in Israeli hands, and vice versa. The Syrians have demanded that Israel return the Golan Heights since the Yom Kippur War, but any attempt to give them back could be a political disaster for any Israeli prime minister. It's a hot issue.

Lots of other areas have be 'colonized' by Orthodox Jews who believe god wants them to have the holy land. They build towns in Palestinian territory, then it becomes a problem when an Israeli prime minister needs to give that territory back to the Palestinians as part of a peace deal, as happened to Sharon a few years back.

And even if borders can be worked out, not everyone will be happy. The houses that the first Israelis moved into in 1948 were the homes of Palestinians. Hundreds of thousands of these Palestinians were forced out and ended up living in refugee camps for decades. Many of them still dream of getting their property back, but how can this happen if Israelis are living in them now?

In short, the conflict is much, much more complicated than either of us can understand. Palestinians want Palestine back, Israelis wants Israel. It's tough to have them both.

• 1 decade ago

I did when I was in 8th grade. Sorry for the bad border design.

• 1 decade ago

british

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

the U.N., as it was then.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.