Good things about SUV's?

I love convertibles and thats all I've ever had.. sadly my mustang got t-boned by a toyoto 4runner and my convertible is totalled. I love having a convertible and wind in my hair.. I want another but then again Ive been thinking maybe I should get an SUV. It was so scary getting into an accident in my car.. Im guessing an SUV would make me feel safer in an accident. With the cost of gas.. and that its only me who travels in my car pretty much 95 percent of the time I dont see the point of one.. except for the safety.

What else is nice about driving in an SUV?

I live in Hawaii so the weather is perfect almost every day for top down driving.. and im a 20 year old female with no kids so i dont bring much stuff around.

I love the jeep idea.. haha.. my name is barbara.. maybe i can find a pink one and spray paint Barbie on the side. how silly would that be?

Favorite Answer

I have owned my fair share of cars, as explained below in the "Know your source" section. I have owned 2 so far, a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2003 Ford Explorer. I have had convertibles, but living in NJ they have always been second cars only to be driven when the elements agreed. What I liked about my SUV's: I sit high so I can usually see the traffic ahead of the car in front of me. I did feel safer because of all the metal around me. In my Explorer I could seat 7 so when it was concert time we could pile everyone in and take one car. My SUV's have been 4X4 so winter driving was cake for me. I too drive primarily by myself but going to Lowes or Home Depot is much easier when you can fold seats to accomodate large purchases. I had a hitch so if needed I could (and did) tow a trailer. For me, the insurance costs were much lower.

As I mentioned I've had convertibles, and I do like them very much and will own another some day. But if I can have only one car it needs to be a sedan or SUV. The difference in fuel economy is not something I paid much attention too. If I pay $35 to fill up versus $50, what's the difference, unless I'm doing it mulitple times a week, in my case it's about every other week.

Currently I don't have either a convertible or an SUV but a rear drive sedan (Cadillac CTS). I love the car, but with 20/20 hindsight I would have gotten the SRX which is the small Caddy SUV, and only for the occassional need for 7 passengers or carrying the dogs.

If you aren't sure if you'd like to drive one, pick out a model you think you'd buy and see if you can go to Hertz or Enterprise and rent one for a week and see how you like it.

In a perfect world you'd have one of each :-)

Source(s): Cars I've owned: 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix, 1999 Nissan Altima, 1992 Mercury Cougar, 1991 Ford Mustang GT Convert, 1989 Cadillac Deville, 1999 Ford Mustang SVT Convert, 2001 Nissan Altima, 1993 Nissan Pickup, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2003 Ford Explorer, 1992 Corvette, 1995 Jaguar XJ12 and my current(and only) car 2006 Cadillac CTS

I don't know about nice, but you can get the best of both worlds (driving a car and driving an SUV) buy purchasing a crossover SUV.

Some examples are the Honda Element and Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Saturn Vue, Chevy Equinox, Ponitac Torrent, Ford Escape, Mercury Mariner, Kia Sorento, Kia Sportage. The list goes on.

These are all vehicles that are built like cars but made to look like their larger SUV counterparts. They are safe to drive, and get awsome gas mileage. Almost as good as your Mustang.

You can research them on edmunds.dom. Usually if an SUV gets less than 19 in the city, it's probably a truck based SUV. most car based crossovers are Front Wheel Drive or All Wheel Drive. Most Truck based SUV are 4 Wheel Drive.

Hope this helps. I've always been a truck guy, but I drive a 2003 Saturn Vue, and I wouldn't trade it for a truck based SUV to save my life.

You might consider the PT Cruiser Convertible. That is definitely the best of both worlds.

in an SUV, if you get rear ended by someone, they would most likely go under your bumper which would limit your damage. same thing if you were hit from the front, most likely to go under your car which would limit damage to your car. also if you happen to slightly bump someone in the parking lot, their car may get damaged, but yours to a minimal. and there are more and more SUVs that are gas efficient. and if you like the wind and the idea of safety...maybe a jeep? you can have it somewhat convertible and its taller.

• glen

Bigger space, higher ground clearance, less chance of damaging the wheels from the potholes, you see better because you sit high.

Best of all, the feeling of being safe. Majority of buyers of SUV's are females.

Source(s): I am a car enthusiast

a suv goes anyplace it is higher up so you crunch less of it if you hit a car. being bigger it asords a harder hit. put on solid steel bumpers an you can ram anything out of your way

Stick with your convert. kid and drive more defensively