where did the expression "when hector was a pup" originate?

it apparently refers to something very old, as in "I knew your father when hector was a pup."

Favorite Answer

It's all but certain that the phrase since Hector was a pup refers to the Hector of mythology, although it's officially classed as "American; origin uncertain." One source says that the expression might have become popularized in the 1920s when a lot of boys studied Greek and had dogs named Hector, but it's more likely that the expression is older, and that both it and the dog-naming fad relate to the story told by Euripides: Hector's mother, Hecuba, got turned into a dog for killing the murderer of her older son, Polydorus, so Hector by extension was a dog's son--a pup

I used to hear that phrase a lot when I was younger so I guess I am giving away my age. Anyway, you roused my curiosity so I did a little research and I am now quoting from the website below:

"it was in fashion at about the time that Hector really was just a

pup. It began to appear in North American newspapers around 1906

and almost immediately became a catchphrase that later spread

around the English-speaking world.

There's quite a variety of ideas behind it. "Hector" seems to

have been a fairly common name for dogs at the time. This was

borrowed from the name of the hero of the Trojan War, the son of

Priam and Hecuba, who became a symbol of the consummate warrior.

By the early twentieth century, "pup" was also well established

as a mildly dismissive name for a young person, particularly an

inexperienced beginner. So Hector was a pup a very long time ago indeed."

I hope this was of some help. I enjoyed doing the research.

Since Hector Was A Pup

I've never heard that phrase before. But, I did have Hector as a pup. My dog Princess had puppies. My sister took one of the puppies and she came up with this name Hector, at the time I had never heard of. She said that she got it in a baby book.

This had to be about 30 years ago. Hector is long gone now. I'll keep watching to see if there are any more answers to this. I didn't know your father, but I knew a lot of people when Hector was a pup.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): expression quot hector pup quot originate: https://biturl.im/5AbXk

I heard somewhere (?) that this phrase originated from Rutherford Hayes's dog Hector, coupled with the a fore mentioned classical allusions ,so much more popular in the 19th century. If so, this time could be interpreted to refer to a much narrower period

My great-Grandmother used the phrase quite often. She was born in 1894, Died in 1981. So the time frame of the early 1900's may be spot on, which would have made her about 12 or so in 1906 time frame. Interesting...she had a million phrases...wish I had written them down!

• Funnel

And is it true that he flys around in a hectorpupper?

I have no clue first time i ever hurd it