Do sentient (self aware) animals think?

A friend of mine said that 7 animals including elephants and dolphins are self aware.

Favorite Answer

It's only logical. I don't know what you friend said that the 7 sentient animals were, but I'm guessing it includes gorillas and chimps as well as the dolphin and elephant you listed.

In the case of gorillas and chimps, they are definitely self aware (mirrors in cages were used for self grooming and not attacked as would be the case of non-sentient animals). I know that there was at least one gorilla that was taught to speak sign language, and studies with chimps show that they are able to conceptualize models (the study I saw had a miniature version of a room. They'd show the chimp that there was a treat in, say, the fridge in the model room, and once the chimp got the idea, they would go right to the fridge and find their treat in the real room.)

Both of those things definitely show thought more complex most animals. So, I'd say that at least chimps and gorillas think, though (based on conversations the trainers had with the gorilla who could use sign language) their thoughts would be less complex than ours.

I would love to see the list of 7 sentient animals though...

God does not "hate" animals. a techniques from it. He created Mankind to visual show unit over and preserve the animal kingdom, alongside with the earth. Care and difficulty for our (tame, farm animals) animals is commanded interior the Decalogue, and God's difficulty for problem-free beasts is recorded interior the e book of Jonah (on the properly, for the duration of God's rebuke to Jonah). The nobility and easy information of many creatures are used as preparation factors interior the information books, and God chosen a lowly animal, a donkey, to talk to a guy (rebuking the insanity of the prophet Balaam) and to carry His Son, Jesus, into Jerusalem. discomfort has a purpose. discomfort is a message from one component to the body to the mind: "stop doing that, it does damage". maximum animals favor to experience discomfort (adverse stimuli) as a fashion to outlive. also, in case you imagine about it, the animals are not right here to "serve" us (even with the actual shown truth that many do). We were positioned right here to "serve" the animals, with techniques from dealing with the planet. human beings on my own have souls, because they're made in only like God, and sentience is a huge component to that image! The flood got here about by way of wickedness of Humanity. it must be not plausible for God to flood and smash the Human inhabitants (executing a mass judgement on human beings) without executing the animals round them besides. word, although, that not in elementary words human beings were kept interior the ark: animals of all kinds were represented besides. wager who replaced into outnumbered on the boat? hint: there have been in elementary words 8 human beings on the ark. the actual difficulty must be: why do not human beings follow God's lead, and take more advantageous suited care of the Earth and the animals in it? playstation God doesn't make animals conflict through for our leisure. it truly is a sicko HUMAN pastime, and thoroughly un-Godly!