Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareFirst Aid · 1 decade ago

I want to take my belly button ring out,is there anything i should do to prevent infection or anything?

I have had it pierced for years, about 7, but i'm tired of it now. I'm wondering if there's some solution or bandage or something I should use after I remove it to prevent infection or anything else that could possibly go wrong..

Favorite Answer

Go ahead and remove the belly ring, get Hibiclens antibacterial soap at your local pharmacy or walmart and cleanse the area every time you shower, pay attention to area, if redness occurs, see your primary physician, I really think it will be ok, might take awhile to close up as you have had it so long.

If you're removing the jewelry because the piercing is irritated, you might want to clean it out with a little bactine or salt water. But if you're just tired of having it and the piercing is completely healed up (which it should be after seven years), there is no reason for you to worry about infections. There is no longer an open wound so there's nothing for the infection to get into.

Source(s): I have had 7 body piercings (including 2 seperate ones in my belly button), and I've removed them all with no trouble.

just clean the openings out with mild salt water with a q tip/baby bud until the piercing closes up. or use germolene. most of the time the body heals piercings pretty well though.

If you've had the piercing for that long, there should be no actual open wound and therefore, no risk of infection.