jillaxtell asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

New kitten Help!?

We just got a new male kitten. The old cat just smelled him and walked away. The younger cat keeps hissing at everyone including him. Now the kitten is behind the dishwasher and hasn't come out. How long do I leave him back there and when do I start to worry? Does this mean there is something wrong with him?

Favorite Answer

first you have to realize that your new kitty is very scared . try talking to him in a very calm voice because he is just as afraid of you right now as you are worried about him .when he starsts to come out close off one room for him preferably the kitchen or a central part of the house that way your kitty can see all of his suroundings and can learn that no one is going to hurt him and he will learn that he is part of the family to . also you might want to spend time with him on a one on one basis . he will adjust but it will take a few days . also you might want to get him a box something that he can sleep in that only has his smell . that way he knows he has his own territory .I had to do this with my kitty and he is fine now .

Your kitten has just been introduced to a new environment and it can be very frightening for him. Usually kittens are able to adapt well and I expect that he will come out in a little while. It is better that the young one is hissing and not the older one, because if the older one is scared of the new kitty then they may have trouble getting along like some of my cats. I fostered a cat that was scared of everything, but after 3 weeks she started to come out from her hiding place when I came into the room, it just takes time. I would just put some food out and give him time, but I would not worry about the kitten as long as it eats and drinks every once an a while. It will warm up to the house and your family soon, just make sure to put in an effort of being around the kitten as much as possible so that he learns not to be scared of you.

Cats can be very personal creatures and like their own space, especially when they're scared or in a new place. I would get the kitten out from behind the dishwasher and make it so he can't get back there again or he's going to keep hiding back there because he feels safe from everyone.

However I would try to find someplace that you wouldn't mind him hiding behind, because until he gets used to everything he's going to want to do that.

Find a nice small place that he can hide in, that's narrow and dark and get him to go in there. Put some food and water and the litter box near his new spot and make sure he knows about it, then just leave him alone. After a while he'll get hungry enough to come out and explore.

Check on him every few hours though to see how he's doing. If he doesn't ever come out to eat then you should think about taking him to the vet and seeing if there IS something wrong but my guess is that he's just scared of new places and new smells.

My Boyfriend's kitten spent the first week under the fridge... so I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure that NO ONE USES THE DISHWASHER while the kitten is back there. He will come out when he feels safe enough to.

When he does come out, I would suggest that you put him (his food, water, litterbox and toys) in a small room with a door (like a bathroom). He should be kept in that room for a week or so, so that he has time to smell the other cats and get used to them and vice versa. You can even put a towel in with the kitten and put one out for your cats to sleep on - and then after a day or two, switch the towels. This will give the cats a chance to smell each other and get used to each others' scent.

Until the kitties all get used to each other, I would keep the kitten in the room when he cannot be supervised. Getting cats used to each other is a gradual process, but it can be done if you take your time and have patience. We all want our animals to get along right off the bat - but they will get along when THEY are ready to... so have patience and your kitties can and will co-exist in good time.

Source(s): I've introduced many cats...

The kitten needs his own space away from the other cats. It takes time for the little ones to overcome their fears when placed in a new home. There is nothing wrong with him - this is perfectly normal.

He should have his own room for a short while where you can get at him to pet him and socialize him. He will let you know when he is ready to take on the rest of the cat household and all that unfamiliar space. This could take several days. Do the introductions slowly and patiently. It really pays off in a better adjustment for the kitten and the other cats.

The cats just need time to get used to eachother. Animals have a power order, whenver a new one is introduced it messes them all up. The same thing happened to me when I got my puppy. And then it happened again when one of my older dogs died. It just takes time... the kitten will come out when it gets hungry. Just let them get used to eachother but don't force it of they will fight.

No,

my kitten did the EXACT same thing & now she & my cat sleep together; it is just temporary. If he doesn't come out in 30 mintues the you might want to get him out if you can.

Good Luck With Your New Baby!!!

the first time my cat was introduced into my house, she hid behind/under everything. he/she needs to just become associated with the environment. give it time, he/she will become comfortable with time. good luck

just give him a chance, he will come when he gets hungry,nothing is wrong ,it will just take him a little while to adjust,he is just a little scare right now but he will be okay

I say turn on the dishwsher! :-P JK JK