Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Consequences of making yourself vomit..?

My sister is 19 and weighs 205 and is 5'6. She is so determined to lose weight that she started intentionally making herself throw up the little food shes eats. I'm worried that this really can't be healthy

• .
    Favorite Answer

"Consequences of bulimia nervosa

* Malnutrition

* Dehydration

* Electrolyte imbalance

* Hyponatremia

* Vitamin and mineral deficiencies

* Teeth erosion and cavities, gum disease

* Sialadenosis (salivary gland swelling)

* Potential for gastric rupture during periods of bingeing

* Esophageal reflux

* Irritation, inflammation, and possible rupture of the esophagus

* Laxative dependence

* Peptic ulcers and pancreatitis

* Emetic toxicity due to ipecac abuse

* Swelling of the face and cheeks

* Callused or bruised fingers

* Dry or brittle skin, hair, and nails, or hair loss

* Lanugo

* Edema

* Muscle atrophy

* Decreased/increased bowel activity

* Digestive problems that may be triggered, including Celiac, Crohn's Disease

* Low blood pressure, hypotension

* Orthostatic hypotension

* High blood pressure, hypertension

* Iron deficiency, anemia

* Hormonal imbalances

* A case of the television show "Untold Stories of The ER", airing on TLC in Canada, a young girl with a severe case of Bulimia nervosa managed to get her gag reflex suppressed, resulting in her using forks to induce vomiting, which ultimately got stuck very deep in her esophagus, and was almost in her stomach. She is lucky, as she escaped with no damage, but her parents found out and she had to be treated accordingly.

* Hyperactivity

* Depression

* Insomnia

* Amenorrhea

* Infertility

* Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

* High risk pregnancy, miscarriage, still-born babies

* Diabetes

* Elevated blood sugar or hyperglycemia

* Ketoacidosis

* Osteoporosis

* Arthritis

* Weakness and fatigue

* Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

* Cancer of the throat or voice box

* Liver failure

* Kidney infection and failure

* Heart failure, heart arrhythmia, angina

* Seizure

* Paralysis

* Potentially death caused by heart attack or heart failure; lung collapse; internal bleeding, stroke, kidney failure, liver failure; pancreatitis, gastric rupture, perforated ulcer, depression and suicide."

See fat loss tip # 4 on the site below on what forced vomiting can do to you. Also the ways to lose weight on that site are very healthy so people can feel much better eating better. It also tells about a secret trick that is used by models and dancers to flatten their tummy or belly before an event. She may be able to lose 15 pounds in an hour doing the secret trick and you do not lose bodyfat or retained water, but something worse for your health.

http://www.phifoundation.org/

it's an eating disorde called bulimia. Make sure to show your sister this list. And the article below. Read the article. Tell your perants and if they don't think it is serious show them the list and the article. Don't worry bout how she feels about your parents knowing because she really needs help before it gets serious.

Consequences of bulimia nervosa

Malnutrition

Dehydration

Electrolyte imbalance

Hyponatremia

Damaging of the voice

Vitamin and mineral deficiencies

Teeth erosion and cavities, gum disease

Sialadenosis (salivary gland swelling)

Potential for gastric rupture during periods of binging

Esophageal reflux

Irritation, inflammation, and possible rupture of the esophagus

Laxative dependence

Peptic ulcers and pancreatitis

Emetic toxicity due to ipecac abuse

Swelling of the face and cheeks, especially apparent in the lower eyelids due to the high pressure of blood in the face during vomiting.

Callused or bruised fingers

Dry or brittle skin, hair, and nails, or hair loss

Lanugo

Edema

Muscle atrophy

Decreased/increased bowel activity

Digestive problems that may be triggered, including Celiac, Crohn's Disease

Low blood pressure, hypotension

Orthostatic hypotension

High blood pressure, hypertension

Iron deficiency, anemia

Hormonal imbalances

Hyperactivity

Depression

Insomnia

Amenorrhea

Infertility

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

High risk pregnancy, miscarriage, still-born babies

Diabetes

Elevated blood sugar or hyperglycemia

Ketoacidosis

Osteoporosis

Arthritis

Weakness and fatigue

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Cancer of the throat or voice box

Liver failure

Kidney infection and failure

Heart failure, heart arrhythmia, angina

Seizure

Paralysis

Potential death caused by heart attack or heart failure; lung collapse; internal bleeding, stroke, kidney failure, liver failure; pancreatitis, gastric rupture, perforated ulcer, depression and suicide.

This is certainly not healthy. This is a terrible disorder called bullemia. There is a website called WebMD, perhaps you and your sister could sit down together and look at all the problems that result from this disorder. She also needs to see your family physician as soon as possible. Also, get your parents involved. You may be saving her life, so don't be afraid to do whatever it takes to get her treatment. You will not be sorry!! I wish you the very best of luck. God Bless!!

Source(s): Years of working in the medical field.

I have battled Anorexia for 12 years and with that have battled bulimia. I lost one friend to Anorexia and one to Bulimia. My friend who died of Bulimia died in a shorter time frame than my friend who died from Anorexia. Bulimia causes not only a lot of stress on the heart but the stomach acid erodes the esophagus and the teeth. I did major damage to my teeth and have ulcers not only in my stomach but I tore up my throat pretty bad.

The more and longer your sister does it for the stronger her desire will be to do it. I did not use the Bulimia often I usually starved but in the short time I did a lot of damage. It is not healthy and it can be very deadly and damaging.

you are right it is NOT healthy. she should go see a dietician that can help her maybe. her throwing up keeps bringing the stomach acid up along with the food and can seriously damage her esophagus which can lead to even worse problems

it isn't healthy at all. it's called bulimia and it's an eating disorder. eating disorders can be as addictive as drugs. making yourself throw up can cause permanent damage to your throat and teeth from being constantly exposed to stomach acid.

She won't get nutrition so her hair will begin to thin and fall out and her skin will start decaying