DN asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & Gear · 1 decade ago

PSP Firmware and Such?

Ok, so this is the deal.

I'm getting a PSP Entertainment Pack for Christmas. I have NO IDEA what firmware it has and I'm a COMPLETE N00B at firmware and homebrew and such. I might play ISOs but I want to install Dark_AleX's 2.71SE-C firmware if possible. I also want to dump all of my UMDs as ISOs on my Memory Card (1GB) if possible of course. I know I would need some type of UMD Dumper for this. So these are my questions.

1. Do I need to update in anyway? I heard you need a regular 1.5 firmware or 2.71 to update to 2.71 SE-C.

2. WHAT IS THIS FLASH STUFF?!?!?!

3. How can I unbrick my PSP if I ever brick it?

4. What UMD Dumper do I need?

5. What sites and programs can I trust? I have Dark_AleX's official site and I know to stay away from dark-alex.com. I also know about hackmypsp.com and projectpsp.com.

That is everything I can think of for now. PLEASE HELP!!! Also I know some games require higher firmwares than 2.71. I found a swap method to play these types of games. Thanks!

-DN

Favorite Answer

i'm gonna try my best to answer all these!!

Firstly, is your PSP going to be a new one? If so, it will likely have the ta-082 motherboard ( http://www.undilutedplatinum.com/images/TA082.gif ) which means any applications/homebrew for 1.5 - 2.71 will not run. Trying to install se-c will brick your PSP. End of. If you are getting a second hand one though, it would be much easier to get the custom se-c firmware. As long as the PSP is under version 2.80 of course, as there is no downgrader for it yet. There is limited homebrew on it and 2.81..but this is very limited atm. There are downgraders from 1.5 all the way to 2.71. If it's on 2.71, SE-C can be installed straight away. Otherwise going back to 1.5 then 2.71 is the only option.

2. WHAT IS THIS FLASH STUFF?!?!?!

Flash is internal memory that your PSP will write to when updating firmwares, and installing other features that will influence what your PSP does. 99% of the time you will be warned if you are writing to the flash, because if it fails then your PSP will probably brick. However this will likely not happen as long as you can follow instructions, and make sure your PSP doesn't power off through the process. It's a good thing that writing to flash doesn't take much time.

Well if it's semi bricked it may be recoverable using the "recovery mode" in SE-C, otherwise it's just an expensive paperweight.

4. What UMD Dumper do I need?

Google is your friend.

5. What sites and programs can I trust?

PSPUpdates.com are reliable, as well as DCEmu and psp-hacks.com

Make yourself known to PSP community & you will soon learn that most programs are trustworthy, unless otherwise stated.

SE-C will let you bypass some games that require the higher firmwares. Also, the immaculate DevHook emulates higher firmwares & therefore you can use this [latest version is 0.51] to play all the newest games with ease!