Does this sound like a heart problem to you?

My father was checked into the hospital thirty minutes ago. For days he had been complaining of heartburn and pressure on his chest. Some of the symptoms he described have been diziness, a leadened feeling in his right arm, difficulty breathing etc. So while my mother goes to the hospital to pick him up, I'd like to know if this sounds like heart problems. I mean, he's only thirty-nine years old. My family DOES have a history of heart problems, but not until a much later age. The docs in the ER say that they can't find anything irregular with him, even though the symptoms all still persist. Until they can do bloodwork, they say, they can't be sure.

Does this sound like a mild heart attack, or is it just me?

Favorite Answer

An ECG (or EKG) will show any evidence of a new or previous heart attack. The heart enzyme levels in his blood are also reliable indicators of a cardiac event. He may need a few investigations to be sure that the vessels supplying his heart are patent.

The heart attack feeling is a COMMON misconception with Anxiety, and the feelings in your heart are called palpitations. Stress is usually the trigger. I have it, but I have learned to control it by learning about it. The panic you feel is called a Panic attack. The swollen neck means your sympathetic nervous system is in effect, meaning your body is going into freak out mode b/c you are scared. Go to a doctor if you wish, but chances are, they will tell you nothing is wrong. Sometimes, panic attacks just happen. The mind is VERY powerful! Have you been worrying yourself lately? Don't let your emotions take over and scare you, or you can become paranoid and stress out your body more. Relax. Practice breathing in for a count of 4 and holding for two and exhaling to 4 and holding for 2, or just deep breathing. Start drinking Chamomile tea as a way to relax, and try taking a Yoga class. The class will teach you about your body and how stress makes it feel, and ways you can stretch to help yourself relax. Also, write in a journal to get out your emotions and exercise, especially when you get that adrenaline rush. Take care of yourself now.*

I am not going to say heart problem or not., I have no idea. I am thinking GERD can also bring on heart like symptoms. Wait until the bloodwork is done and take it from there. I believe heart problems usually affect the left arm with pain.

It could be. It could also be any number of other things such as esophageal reflux or hietal hernia. Blood work is the best indication of cardiac problems. There are certain cardiac enzymes that change as a result of damage to the heart muscle.

have your dads doc prescribe an echocardiogram or echo.

i had open heart surgery for my aortic valve and they found that by echo, by the way my dad had a heart attack at 58 they found this when i was 42

He should get a second opinion. I had that once turned out to be a stroke.