jdyzy asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

What has caused people of today to place materials before morals or spirtual well being?

Just looking to see different oppinions on this subject.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sex and violence sells, especially on TV which is where we get a lot of our influences, and is used a lot in material marketing. Our society has also demonized churches, respect for elders, etc. I also think that many parents these days are too tired to teach there kids proper manners and that they are part of something bigger than themselves. If no one expects us or makes us act with a sense of morality and spirituality, it's easy to be drawn to the stuff that is sold to be 'cool.'

• 1 decade ago

Material things are popular because they seem to offer immediate gratification. Everyone wants to be happy, and most people see materials as a short cut to being happy. I think that happiness is above and beyond material goods. Material wants are just means with happiness as their intended end. But, of course happiness can be acheived without material goods.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

People's desire to living a confortable long life instead of a short miserable life in a mud hut.

• 1 decade ago

People who focus too much on faith and beliefs usually tend to seem crazy. The tangible things seem most real, thus making it most sane to see those things before any other type of faith. I hear faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

the root cause of all ills, according to some schools of eastern thought, is ignorance. ignorance of the true nature of reality, and of the purpose for incarnating as a human. this ignorance causes one to be attached to all manner of foolishness arising out of fear and selfishness. such ignorance causes, at least, hyper- materialism. ;-)

• F T
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Commercials, large corporations, and greed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.