Does coffee counter-act the effect of a vitamin if they are both taken at the same time?

I've heard this somewhere...I'm not sure if it's true though.

Favorite Answer

I am not aware of any vitamin or mineral that the metabolism or absorption is adversely affected by coffee.

If anything, the presence of caffeine, in most people, will increase the absorption and metabolism of the vitamin. This is the reason that the only over the counter migraine medicine approved by the FDA is just a mix of Acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine.

Better still, some recent chemical research indicates that coffee contains higher concentrations of beneficial anti-oxidants then any other source, except perhaps green tea.

Just like eggs, popular culture has demonized a fine food. Beware of the swings of popular culture where science is concerned.

Source(s): Graduate Geochemical Engineering student (reasearching the biogoechemical interacitons of algea with Mn and Zn)

Unless you're pregnant or soon to be so, or a vegan, or and alcoholic, the average American gets way more vitamins than he needs. Ask your doctor if he's ever seen a case of scurvy or pellagra. I bet not. The vitamin supplement is just an insurance policy, so I'd say you're probably on pretty safe ground if you want to have your morning coffee.

For some reason, vitamins are not absorbed as well if taken with caffine. Not sure why. My Dr. told me about it when I was pregnant and taking prenatal vitamins.

what vitamin? some might say not to take with caffeine.. but if no warnings to that nature then no, it would not affect anything.

as i know the tea if taken in large amount may affect the iron in blood.

no