Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

Should I stick with the animal sanctuary volunteer site or withdraw from Alternative Breaks altogether?

Ok, at my university there is this program called Alternative Breaks. For one semester, you pay $225, meet with your group once a week for 2 hours, and then work at an out of state volunteer site for one week (during spring break).

I applied because I wanted to work at Chicago Cares, a health care organization in Chicago. I intend to go into the health care field in the future, so this experience would look great on grad school applications.

However, I didn't get chosen for that program. I was chosen for the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary instead. Volunteering there would be fun, but it's not relevant to my future goals.

Should I quit the program, save my money, and volunteer at the hospital in town to get the health-related experience I need for grad school.... or should I just stick with the program anyway?

Favorite Answer

You should go with your first mind....quit the program, save your money, and volunteer at the hospital in town to get the health-related experience you need for grad school. You have to do whats best for you. You can always volunteer for an animal place or any other place at any other time, but you have to look out for your future.