cleaning your cats litter box?

why does a cat have to be right there watching you when your cleaning its litter box? is it a territory kind of thing or what?

• lizzy
    Favorite Answer

He's making sure you do it right. Or, if he's like mine, he has to be the FIRST ONE to piddle in it, so he tries to climb in while I'm still pouring the litter.

Dogs have owners, cats have a staff : )

My Cat Does The Same Thing. They Want To Make Sure Its Done Right.

• Susan

I know how you feel, I also have 2 cats and 1 box. It needs to be cleaned out at least 2 times a day. If I don't remind my husband to clean it everyday, he wont. My cats have their box in the garage and I walked out there a few weeks back and realized that it probably hadn't been cleaned in 2 weeks! My father in law even yelled at him for it... lol! My doctor said that if I can avoid it it's best to not clean it at all, but if I HAVE to do it then use a mask and latex gloves. He also said to wash my hands with antibacterial soap afterwards. You can clean it like this, but anytime that your fiance is available to clean it have him do it. To be honest, sometimes cats don't even carry toxoplasmosis, but it's best not to take that risk. Good luck and congrats!

My Cats do too, for my cats it's a territory problem. They want to make sure I'm doing it right, your cat is probably the same way!

Source(s): My cats
  • ec1177

As far as the kitty is concerned you are there to serve it So its just making sure the job is done correctly and on time. Nobody likes a dirty litter box.

Think about it, wouldn't you want to know what was going on if someone were fiddling with your toilet? unless the cat is used to other cats using it's litter box, it has to leave it's scent to ward off other cats.

Source(s): I have 6 cats

I agree with lizzy. If you have more than one cat, they want to be the first to "go" in it. Think about it like this. If you lived with 3 people, and could only flush your toilet once a day, wouldn't you want to be the first one to "go" after it is flushed?

They're confused as to why you want to play in their poop. Plus, if you have multiple cats, there will be competition to be the first one in, for some reason.

• Tigger

My kitties don't have to be. But it could be a territory thing. Or it could be he's hopping up and down and needs to go.

ALOT OF CATS DO THAT. THEY WANT TO MAKE SURE THEY PUT THEIR SCENT RIGHT BACK IN THERE ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE MORE THEN I CAT. THEY ARE MARKING THEIR TERRITORY!