Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

How can I determine whether a trait is sex-linked or not?

i am given phenotypes of the P generation, the F1 and F2.

for example, 3 males with yellow eyes X 3 females with normal eyes

produce

42 males with yellow eyes

29 females with yellow eyes

10 females with normal eyes

30 males with normal eyes

that's just an example. how do i determine wether the yellow eyes are a sex-linked triat?

Favorite Answer

Sex linked simply means carried on the X chromosome.

Typically, most examples of sex linked genes are recessive, and show up MORE commonly in males, since they only have 1 X chromosome.

However, the reverse applies also- if a sex linked gene were dominant, you would see it MORE commonly in females, since they have 2 chances to get it.

That said- look at your proportions- 50% of the pups have yellow eyes, total. Looking by sex, yellow eyes is present roughly 55-45 in males.

However, it is 75-25 in females.

I would suspect that this gene could be sex linked dominant.

That said, you have way too small of a population to say anything definitive.

Source(s): I pretty much know everything about biology- check ou my other answers.

Y appropriate recessive features will in common words take position in some male and no ladies. Y appropriate dominats will be in all adult males and no ladies. X appropriate dominates will be in all offspring. X appropriate recessives will be in some ladies yet no adult males. that's only Mendelian ratios and there are a selection of exceptions. Genetic make up does no longer continually finally end up in a particular phenotype. Many different elements in touch.

i don't know how to prove it but 10 females with normal eyes, that looks a bit low compared to the other phenotypes

I'm pretty sure sex-linked traits can only be carried by males since they are XY. So if you have any females with the problem then it probably isn't sex-linked.